The Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity is built from the ground up for the public policy debates of the 21st century. Its mission: to expand economic opportunity to those who least have it, using the tools of individual liberty, free enterprise, and technological innovation.
FREOPP is a digital-native organization that is breaking the traditional think tank mold, by identifying and developing reforms that can appeal to younger, tech-savvy Americans: those who believe that progressive outcomes can be achieved through entrepreneurship and individual creativity, and those who believe that America’s diversity can be an engine of growth and prosperity.
Our work on replacing Obamacare, for example, shows how consumer-driven health care can achieve universal coverage. Our work on higher education focuses on how the online revolution can bring affordable college degrees to everyone, by disrupting the academic cartel.
FREOPP was founded in 2016 by Ames Brown and Avik Roy, and includes among its brain trust many of the nation’s leading policy minds, including Kristen Soltis Anderson, Lanhee Chen, Daniel Garza, and Scott Winship.
While FREOPP is only in its second year, it has already raised a significant amount of seed capital and exerted meaningful influence on the nation’s public policy debates. The ED & COO will be in the enviable position of helping to build a consequential new institution without the immediate financial and branding concerns most new organizations have.
This role is a unique opportunity for a risk-taking, performance-driven, entrepreneurial manager who is excited about the prospect of building the next great free-market think tank.
About the Position
The ED & COO is responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization and will wear many hats. Responsibilities include administering, operating and improving all FREOPP’s internal systems. Depending on the candidate’s interests and capabilities, the role will likely involve overseeing external activities such as development, outreach, marketing, and communications.
The ED & COO will be responsible for developing FREOPP’s strategic objectives in conjunction with the rest of the executive team and board of directors. The ED & COO will be responsible for measuring FREOPP’s progress towards those strategic objectives on a regular basis, and for managing the organization towards achieving them.
- Implement, manage, and continuously improve FREOPP’s internal and external operations and systems
- Work closely with the President and EVP to execute FREOPP’s fundraising strategy
- Oversee all development efforts, including authoring grant requests, undertaking donor calls and meetings, maintaining the donor database, etc.
- Oversee organization’s communications and outreach including social media, newsletter generation, proofreading, and marketing strategy
- Serve as key liaison between FREOPP and its board; serve as corporate secretary
- Generate financial reports and assist in managing budget and expenses
- Manage leadership team’s schedules during crisis periods
- Ensure legal compliance
- Office management including order supplies, mailing letters, responding to requests, etc.
The ED & COO will work with FREOPP’s leadership to hire and manage other staff members. The ED & COO reports to the Executive Vice President, Ames Brown.
The ED & COO will be based in Austin, TX, where FREOPP’s headquarters are. We will assist with relocation.
Because we care about attracting candidates as performance-driven as we are, we plan to offer the ED & COO a very competitive base salary with significant performance-based bonus potential. We expect to hire a high-performing individual who will consistently exceed expectations and be rewarded accordingly.
Highly-qualified candidates may become eligible upon hiring for FREOPP’s long-term incentive plan (LTIP). An ED & COO who performs at an exceptional level at FREOPP may additionally be appointed by the board of directors for its annual short-term incentive plan (STIP).
- At least 4-7 years of experience working in the nonprofit sector with a proven track record of leadership and management
- Risk-taking, entrepreneurial mindset; experience in the for-profit sector is a plus
- Strong project management skills, highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Ability to wear many hats, multi-task, and change gears quickly
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience budgeting and managing finances strongly preferred
- Knowledge of fundraising, communication, and/or outreach a plus
- The gravitas and confidence to interact with high net worth individuals one minute and the humility and work ethic to order office supplies the next
- Working knowledge of the free market movement
- Ability to travel (15%-20% travel)
- Self-starter with ability to thrive in a small office environment with little oversight
- Bachelor’s degree
- Philosophical alignment with FREOPP (belief in the power of individual liberty and free enterprise to expand economic opportunity to those who least have it)
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing two successes that illustrate the candidate’s qualifications and current compensation
- List of references
Please include “ED & COO, FREOPP– Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Dixon with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.