The Director, Philanthropy and Partnerships, is a fast-paced major gift officer that’s also a self-disciplined, organized team player committed to expanding the boundaries of freedom. Culture matters at CEI. We have a fun, creative environment built around experienced policy leaders and led by a high-energy President/CEO. The successful candidate will be aligned with CEI’s policy positions and be a willing to serve on a team that works hard, has a good sense of humor, and is intensely dedicated to CEI’s upward trajectory of growth. This position reports to the Vice President of Philanthropy and will complete a five-person team.
Reason Foundation advances a free society by developing, applying, and promoting libertarian principles, including individual liberty, free markets, and the rule of law.
Reason Foundation produces respected, nonpartisan public policy research on a variety of issues and publishes the critically-acclaimed Reason magazine. Together, our top-tier think tank and political and cultural magazine reach a diverse, influential audience, advancing the values of choice, individual freedom and limited government.
About the Opening
Reason Foundation seeks an experienced grant writer and researcher to write proposals and reports for foundations, corporations, and select individuals, covering all aspects of Reason’s work. The grant writer will work closely with the rest of the development team to meet commitments to existing grants and to generate new sources of revenue.
- Work with the development team to write proposals and reports for existing funders
- Research and identify new foundations who have goals consistent with Reason’s mission
- Draft letters of inquiry to prospective foundation donors
- Interact with program staff to prepare grant requests, budgets, timelines and reports
- Track grant prospects and submissions; manage, update and maintain accurate grant database/calendar to track grant writing activities, reporting, renewal requests and deadlines; ensure timely submission of proposals and reports
- Other responsibilities based on skills and interest
- Three to five years of grant writing experience with a successful track record; a gifted writer without grant writing experience will also be considered
- Superior writing skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, effectively managing multiple projects, tasks and deadlines
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for individual donors and prospects
- Knowledge of or ability to learn how to use Salesforce and project management tools
- A commitment to libertarian principles
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
- Location is flexible, although D.C. or Los Angeles are preferred
- Travel is minimal
- Salary will be based on experience
- Reason offers medical and other benefits after one month of employment
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter that details your interest in working for Reason, why your background is a good fit for this role, your salary requirements, and your location preference
- Two writing samples of your choice, preferably related to grant writing/donor communication (for which you were solely responsible for writing)
PDF applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions about the opening can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.