PERC’s mission is to improve environmental quality through property rights and markets. Founded in 1980, PERC pioneered the paradigm of free market environmentalism as an effective alternative to command-and-control environmental regulations. Today, PERC advances market-based solutions to environmental policy and conservation practice.
The Director of Communications, a new and dynamic position at PERC, will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, social media, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate PERC’s mission. The Director of Communications will ensure that PERC is viewed as the primary source for creative conservation solutions within PERC’s diverse network and constituent base. The Director of Communications will work closely with PERC’s leadership team as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
This is an exciting opportunity for a communication professional who is passionate about the environment and wants to help build the brand of an established and highly respected organization. The Director will have the opportunity to take PERC research and transform and brand it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the organization’s diverse audiences in collaboration with the leadership team
- Build and manage the PERC brand
- Serve as the main point of contact for all media inquires; build relationships with media; proactively place PERC’s work in relevant media outlets (?)
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action; decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities with tools such as polls
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and the website
- Manage timely press releases, PERC’s Annual Report, and work with the outreach team to form and maintain relationships with congressional staffers to maximize PERC’s impact on environmental topics
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
- Coordinate and organize annual meetings that engage the network’s discrete audiences
- Manage all media contacts
- Manage Meltwater, Google Adwords, WordPress, MailChimp, Google Analytics
The Director of Communications will be adept at communicating and messaging to diverse audiences and will be a master at building brands. Specific requirements include:
- 3-5+ years of experience developing and implementing communications strategies, ideally within a nonprofit entity
- A sincere interest in conservation and free market environmentalism; previous experience in the environmental/conservation arena preferred but not required
- Proven ability to take research and publications and transform and brand them into exciting and useful messages
- Proven ability to disseminate content/messages to diverse audiences through the best distribution channels
- Experience Media relations experience
- Highly collaborative style
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Self-starter mentality; ability to work independently; entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Ability to collaborate on communication with state and local policy groups and policy makers
- Alignment with PERC’s core values of Integrity, Dependability (work ethic is critical; we work hard and play hard); Selflessness/Family; Passion for the Mission; Commitment to Excellence; Discipline ( when you see a fire, put it out even if you didn’t start it); and Restless Innovation
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file title:
- Cover letter detailing your experience implementing communications strategies/brand management, your philosophical interest in PERC’s mission, your salary requirements, and your location preference
Please include “Director of Communications, PERC–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon at Talent Market who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.