The Fairness Center is a nonprofit, public interest law firm seeking to hire attorneys who enjoy litigation, value precision in their work, and demonstrate a passion for representing clients. The Fairness Center’s mission is to provide free legal services to those hurt by public-sector union officials. The firm achieves this mission through a cohesive, wholistic approach, representing its clients both in the court of law and the court of public opinion.
Due to the Fairness Center’s unique mission and operation, its attorneys litigate significant, cutting edge cases in a dynamic area of law on behalf of the firm’s clients, with flexibility to maintain a healthy work-life balance. This position provides the right candidate a chance to engage in substantive litigation, often related to constitutional and civil rights.
The Fairness Center represents clients in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies and currently assists clients in Pennsylvania and Connecticut. Litigation Counsel at the Fairness Center practice across the full spectrum of litigation including oral argument in federal and state courts, substantive brief drafting and motion practice, discovery, including depositions, and participation in managing client and opposing counsel relationships.
Ideally, candidates hired to fill the Litigation Counsel positions will be based in Pennsylvania, working from one of the Fairness Center’s offices in Philadelphia or Harrisburg. However, under certain circumstances and depending on the candidate’s situation, the firm will consider a candidate working remotely from elsewhere in Pennsylvania or from a New England state and will also consider reduced hours.
The Fairness Center offers employees a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health insurance and a retirement savings plan with an employer match.
The responsibilities of the Litigation Counsel will be as follows:
- Working with other attorneys to conduct litigation on behalf of the Fairness Center’s clients
- Serving as a public spokesperson for the Fairness Center’s clients and working with communications professionals to help clients vindicate their rights in the court of public opinion
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Admission to the state bar of Pennsylvania (preference to those also admitted to the Connecticut state bar or eligible for admission thereto)
- Two or more years of civil litigation experience (trial, hearing, and discovery experience a plus)—prior labor and employment experience not required
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Superior verbal and communication abilities
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building capacity, and the ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Judicial clerkship, law review, and/or trial advocacy experience a plus
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing A) your interest in and passion for the Fairness Center’s mission and B) your salary requirements
- A legal writing sample
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.