Yankee Institute develops and advances free-market, limited-government solutions in Connecticut. As one of America’s oldest state-based think tanks, Yankee is a leading advocate for smart, limited government; fairness for taxpayers; and an open road to opportunity.
Fighting for Connecticut’s people, Yankee Institute:
- Provides research on issues including state spending, taxation, regulation and government accountability.
- Uncovers waste, fraud, and abuse in state and local government through award-winning investigative journalism.
- Exposes government salaries and benefits through CTSunlight.org.
- Educates decision-makers and citizens, and trains the next generation of leaders through events, internships and outreach.
About the Opening
Yankee Institute seeks a Director of Policy and Research to lead the Institute’s policy research and legislative outreach teams. This position will be responsible for identifying, developing and implementing strategic opportunities related to advancing free-market policy in Connecticut.
The Director will oversee work on Yankee’s core policy platforms, including fiscal health, labor reform and education choice.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Formulate Yankee’s overall policy strategy and subsequently coordinate on legislative strategy
- Work with Yankee’s team of authors and researchers to compile data, write and edit policy papers, policy briefs and additional supporting literature for Connecticut legislators and Yankee audience
- Serve as a liaison with national policy experts, actively engaging them in advancing free-market policy solutions in Connecticut
- Write op-eds, legislative testimony and supporting literature for Yankee publications
- Serve as subject matter expert on Yankee’s core policy platforms, including fiscal health, labor reform and education choice for media appearances and meetings with legislators and Yankee donors
- Create and deliver presentations on Yankee’s research and publications
- Develop relationships with Connecticut lawmakers
- Manage Yankee research and legislative outreach staff
- 10+ years of experience, including significant experience in a public policy setting
- Proven ability to manage a staff
- Extensive knowledge of free-market principles
- Policy knowledge of fiscal issues, labor reform and/or education choice preferred but not required
- Strong program management, critical thinking and organizational skills
- Superior communication skills
- Humility and sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree in economics, political science or related field preferred
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position/Yankee’s mission and salary requirements
Please include “Director, Yankee–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.