The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into profound and lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity.
About the Opening
The Publications Director is responsible for leading and supervising Independent’s publishing activities, working with research staff to produce research and policy-related books, reports, and monographs; overseeing the design, budgeting, and production of monographs or journals; and designing and executing a marketing plan to improve dissemination and increase sales of the organization’s research publications.
The Publications Director provides design and production oversight of Independent’s print and digital creative assets, and oversees the detailed aspects of producing publications, periodicals and marketing collateral at Independent. This includes maintaining contacts with authors, other departments within the organization, and outside vendors. The Director employs best-in-class practices and is committed to excellence, teamwork and continuous improvement in meeting and fulfilling all required tasks.
The Publications Director fully participates in the development and implementation of Independent’s Strategic Plan and the concurrent development of the Publications Operating Plan with related budgets and schedules. The Director works closely with other departments to make certain that the print and digital materials of Independent properly reflect Independent’s branding, mission and values and its commitment to excellence, making certain that the requirements of specific assignments are fully satisfied in a brand consistent, cost-effective, and timely manner. Key responsibilities include:
- Branding. Work with the executive team and other departments to explore and define design solutions to support the brand. Build out the brand guidelines as needed.
- Design. Provide design support, maintain quality control, and manage the detailed aspects of print and digital production, including contacting vendors and other Independent departments. Remain organized and detail-oriented. Maintain appropriate file-handling protocol. Prepare and submit files to printers and vendors in good order.
- Publications. Manage the design and production of books, publication covers, The Independent newsletter, Independent Thought, briefings, reports, booklets, and policy reports.
- Marketing, development and event collateral. Develop and oversee the production of materials as needed, including the design, layout, and production of the Annual Report, invitations, ads, marketing materials, and other promotional collateral. Contribute design expertise as appropriate.
- Digital. Provide digital assets and solutions for web, email and social media use and distribution.
In fulfilling production responsibilities for materials, the Director primarily uses common page-layout, digital illustration, and image editing programs, as well as common internet tools for web publishing, such as InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.