Founded in 1984, the Yankee Institute for Public Policy develops and advances free-market, limited-government policies that offer opportunity, ensure fairness and promote prosperity for all generations of Connecticut’s people.
The Yankee Institute seeks a Development Director who is responsible for managing the identification and cultivation of the financial resources necessary to support the mission and continued growth of the Yankee Institute. We are open to a more experienced candidate who can hit the ground running or an up-and-coming candidate who would require more training.
Full-time, evenings/weekends if needed. Flexible work hours are available so long as work is excellent.
The Development Director can be located in Hartford, CT or in a virtual office somewhere in Connecticut. If outside of Hartford, the Director will need to travel to the Hartford office and around Connecticut to meet with donors. Expected travel: 20-40%.
- Work with the President to implement an integrated fundraising strategy, as well as annual development plans to enlist the partnership of supporters across Connecticut, with particular focus on individual and prospective contributors.
- Cultivate long-term relationships with existing and prospective supporters that transcend simple financial support of Yankee.
- Interact with supporters through phone calls, one-on-one visits, and written correspondence to keep them informed of our work.
- Build and execute effective strategies to develop relationships, steward investments, and solicit gifts.
- Work with the President to steward her current and future relationships.
- Cultivate relationships with present and prospective Yankee donors, with primary responsibility for $5,000 (and smaller) donors.
- Work seamlessly and cordially with Director of External Affairs and Policy Director to ensure that outreach is executed in a manner complementary to and cooperative with their efforts in their spheres.
- Ensure donors are properly thanked, receiving receipts if necessary, and are recognized and valued.
- Drive continuous improvements in fundraising systems.
- Plan and oversee calendar of direct mail pieces and in-house solicitation letters.
- Work with the Operations Manager and President to implement realistic annual budgets that align with Yankee Institute’s strategic plan.
- Ensure that Yankee Institute’s growth goals are met, if not exceeded.
- Continue Yankee Institute’s direct mail program and outreach to grant-making organizations and foundations that share its objectives and way of thinking.
- Develop and track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Use fundraising database(s) to ensure current data on donors, gifts and prospects.
- Oversee organization of fundraising events.
- Partner effectively with allied groups in a legally-compliant manner.
- 2-10+ years of work experience
- Excellence in organizational, managerial and communication skills
- Solid relationship building skills; affable personality; team player
- Commitment to Yankee Institute’s mission and culture
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Consummate professionalism
- BA (required); MA (a plus)
Optimal Additional Qualifications:
- Background in fundraising
- Experience in event planning and management
- Familiarity with DonorPerfect or other donor management system
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization and your salary requirements
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.