As Talent Market has recently expanded, I’m reminded that I’ve heard some amusing but wildly inaccurate things about Talent Market over the years. As such, I thought it might be fun to quiz readers about our work and set the record straight on some key items.
Don’t worry. It’s an easy true/false quiz, and no one will stop you from looking at the bottom to cheat (except maybe your conscience).
- Talent Market assists all types of nonprofit and private sector organizations. Our favorite clients are government entities (because they are always efficient and effective!).
- Talent Market charges standard “headhunter” fees for its services.
- Talent Market helps junior level talent find jobs in the free-market universe.
- Talent Market helps mid, senior, and executive level talent find jobs in the free-market universe.
- Talent Market has a job board on which anyone can post openings of any sort (policy analysts, plumbers, podiatrists — you name it!).
- Talent Market will manage an organization’s entire search process while allowing the organization to make 100% of the decisions.
- If I submit my information to Talent Market, it will be shared with the general public, posted on bathroom walls inside shady establishments, and distributed at irrelevant events such as pet expos, Renaissance fairs, and Comic-Con.
- One Talent Market staffer had a bit part in Saved by the Bell.
Now, that wasn’t so bad, right? Want to see how you fared?
- FALSE! Talent Market, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, is focused exclusively on serving other free-market 501(c)3 nonprofits. We provide consulting and talent search services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise. We do not work in politics, nor do we work with organizations that address social issues. And we sure as heck don’t exist to make the government more bloated than it already is!
- FALSE! Talent Market provides our services at no direct cost to our free-market nonprofit clients (we fundraise to keep the lights on). We do this because we know the majority of these organizations lack the resources to pay market rates for the capability we offer. (Keep in mind that private sector recruiters often charge clients 20-30% of annual compensation. Yikes!) In fact, the total private sector value of Talent Market’s placements to date is over $7.6 million! When you consider Talent Market’s lean and mean budget, it’s clear Talent Market is providing incredible bang for the buck for the liberty movement.
- TRUE! Now that we’ve added Katy Ranville to the team, Talent Market will be expanding into early/mid-career talent identification, development, and placement. So, if you’re a college student, recent graduate, or junior-level professional, you should get connected with usimmediately if not sooner!
- TRUE! While we’re expanding into new territory, we’ll still provide the same services we always have for mid, senior, and executive level talent. At that level, things change frequently (geography, salary requirements, job preferences, etc.); so, make sure to send us your latest and greatest information here so that we can keep you posted on relevant opportunities!
- FALSE! Talent Market manages searches for critical talent, which means that any role listed on our site is a search that we’re spending many hours on – recruiting, vetting, networking, etc. While we list these openings on our website, we do not have a “job board.” Our searches are as diverse as the talent needs of the free-market universe (policy, communications, fundraising, management, legal, operations, etc.), but podiatrists need not apply!
- TRUE! I know, it seemed like a trick question, didn’t it? When Talent Market manages a search, the client still makes 100% of the decisions and sees every single applicant we see. We keep the client organized, keep the candidates informed, and keep the process moving efficiently.
- FALSE! Talent Market won’t share your information with anyone unless you apply directly for a job through us! Until that point, we simply keep you posted about opportunities. We take confidentiality very seriously (despite not taking ourselves very seriously!).
- FALSE! You thought for a minute this was true, didn’t you? Sorry to disappoint!