The Center Square is a project of the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Franklin News Foundation, headquartered in Chicago. The focus of their work is state- and local-level government and economic reporting. A taxpayer sensibility distinguishes their work from other coverage of state and local issues. As a result of this approach, their readers are better informed about the focus of state and local government and its cost to the citizens whose tax dollars fund governmental decisions.
The Center Square is staffed by editors and reporters with extensive professional journalism experience. They engage readers with essential news, data and analysis – delivered with velocity, frequency, and consistency.
About the Role
The Center Square is looking for a Washington State News Editor to lead its efforts in reporting on the nation’s most relevant, taxpayer-focused daily and enterprise news content across multiple platforms in the state of Washington. The ideal candidate has at least 3-5 years of experience in journalism, writing, or editing, and feel a personal alignment with our taxpayer-focused mission. They are a passionate, ethical journalist who prefers a hands-on approach to managing a team of four reporters, ensuring the execution of planned coverage in the short and long-term. This is a full-time virtual position within the state of WA.
- Supervise reporters, manage planning of coverage, write and edit daily news stories, and post to TheCenterSquare.com.
- Report on state government activity, monitor legislative and policy developments that affect the region, and use public records and databases to ferret out waste, fraud, and abuse.
- Recruit staff reporters and freelance journalists to help cover the region; assign and edit stories.
- Promote The Center Square stories to local and regional media partners.
- Cultivate trusted sources to provide leads on potential stories, including those inside and outside government, think tanks, academia, unions, and the business community.
- Monitor the state media landscape to identify popular topics and potential media partners.
- Assist with managing social media sites.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in journalism, writing, or editing
- Experience reporting and editing for print, web, radio, and/or television is a plus
- Strong written, investigative, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with state legislative policy issues
- Ability to uncover original stories and break them
- Entrepreneurial approach and ability to work independently
- Excellent proactive communicator
- Demonstrated understanding of planning and budgeting processes
- Ability to travel on an as-needed basis, including regionally when called upon
- Strong commitment to the principles of personal responsibility and free enterprise
- A bachelor’s degree or higher is preferred
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization, why the position interest you, how your experience has prepared you for this position, and your salary requirements
- One professional (not academic) writing sample that is 500-1,000 words. Excerpts from longer pieces are acceptable.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Outreach Specialist, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.