The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is a law and policy organization based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Established in 2011, WILL has become one of the preeminent state-based litigation centers and think tanks in the country, growing to ten lawyers. Through strategic litigation and timely policy reports, WILL seeks to advance the public interest in free markets, limited government, individual liberty and a robust civil society, including educational freedom and reform.
On its litigation side, WILL has become a frequent litigant in the state and federal courts (it is one of the most frequent litigants in the state Supreme Court), seeking to develop the law in ways that will serve its mission. It now seeks an additional associate counsel to join its fight for freedom.
About the Associate Counsel Opening:
Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is looking for an attorney with 0-4 years of experience to bring cutting-edge, strategic litigation before the Wisconsin state courts, analyze legislation and engage in policy analysis, and help advocate for freedom. Recent law school graduates are welcome to apply.
Salary is competitive with an exceptionally attractive benefits package, including health, life, dental, HSA and 401(k) plan.
Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is open to a fully virtual hire for this position. There is a slight preference for a Wisconsin-based candidate. For all new hires, WILL has a flexible working environment and the Wisconsin-based hire would be able to work from home several days a week.
- Work with senior lawyers to identify and prosecute strategic litigation
- Conduct legal research, write briefs, and engage oral advocacy
- Analyze legislation, regulation, and policies
- Write advocacy materials and materials for the media , including legal backgrounders and opinion pieces
- 0-4 years of litigation experience preferred, new lawyers will be considered
- Brief writing and legal analysis experience preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- WILL cases are cutting edge, by design, and aim for law development; the position requires ingenuity, creativity and strong research skills
- Team player with a sense of humor and willingness to network
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to take risks
- Solid commitment to the mission of the organization
- Eligibility for admission to the bar of the State of Wisconsin
- WILL is a hybrid work environment. Remote applicants will be considered.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing interest in the position, the mission of WILL, and salary requirements
- One legal writing sample reflecting solely the applicant’s own work
- If available, one advocacy writing sample (i.e., an op-ed or blog post) reflecting solely the applicant’s own work
- An unofficial law school transcript
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.