The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is a law and policy organization based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Established in 2011, WILL has become one of the preeminent state-based litigation centers and think tanks in the country, with a growing team of 23, including 12 attorneys. Through strategic litigation and timely policy reports, WILL seeks to advance the public interest in free markets, limited government, individual liberty and a robust civil society, including educational freedom and reform.
On its litigation side, WILL is a frequent litigant in state and federal courts, seeking to develop the law in ways that will serve its mission. On the policy side, WILL produces excellent, timely, and strategic policy research and proposals in the areas of K-12 reform, economic opportunity and deregulation, and health care reform.
About the Position:
The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is seeking a talented and creative Storyteller and Content Creator. The ideal candidate for this position is someone who understands the fundamentals of good storytelling, and how to engage and inform key audiences in a manner that is both informative and compelling. Their contribution will lead to the increased production of compelling video content, engaging blog posts, and impactful social-media videos, fostering greater awareness, engagement, and support for WILL’s initiatives. This hire aims to modernize WILL’s communication efforts, enhancing its digital presence, and driving policy change while expanding its donor base.
Upon joining WILL, this storytelling journalist will become an integral part of our communications team, working in close collaboration with both our policy and litigation teams. This position will serve as the linchpin in bridging the gap between complex policy issues and the broader public, making our research more accessible and relatable to a diverse audience, while amplifying the impact of our advocacy and litigation efforts.
WILL has a strong preference for candidates located in, or willing to relocate to, Milwaukee, WI for this role. However, WILL may consider fully-remote arrangements for exceptional candidates, provided they have the ability to engage in travel to Wisconsin as necessary to fulfill the role’s requirements and maintain a strong connection with the team.
- Storytelling Development: Work closely with the communications, legal, and policy team to develop the story behind our efforts. Identify and work directly with the people we are trying to help to ultimately create content that resonates. The ideal candidate will stay up to date with industry trends and best practices to ensure our videos are fresh, engaging, and shareable.
- Video Production: Plan, shoot, and edit high-quality videos that showcase our litigation, advocacy efforts, and values. This often includes collaborating with the communications team to develop video concepts, storyboards, and scripts.
- Video Editing: Utilize your expertise in video editing software (such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, or similar) to create visually appealing and seamless videos. Apply appropriate transitions, effects, and color grading to enhance the overall quality of the videos.
- ***WILL already has a wide-array of video equipment, but we are more than happy to accommodate the style of the candidate***
- Analytics and Optimization: Monitor video performance metrics and analytics to identify areas for improvement. Use data-driven insights to optimize future video content and strategies.
No minimum experience is necessary, but a background in multimedia production or journalism would be a plus. An ideal candidate would have the following qualities:
- Experience: Proven experience as a Content Creator, Journalist, Video Editor, or similar role with a strong portfolio showcasing your video editing, production, and storytelling skills. Experience in both pre-production and post-production processes is essential.
- Technical Skills: Proficient in video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, or similar. Familiarity with audio editing software and other video editing tools is a plus. Knowledge of cameras, lighting, and other video production equipment is preferred.
- Creativity: Demonstrated ability to think creatively and develop innovative video content ideas. A keen eye for visual storytelling, composition, and attention to detail is essential.
- Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams and translate ideas into engaging video content.
- Time Management: Strong organizational and time management skills to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and deliver high-quality work under tight schedules.
- Flexibility: Willingness to adapt to changing priorities and work in a fast-paced environment. Open to receiving feedback and making adjustments to improve video content.
- Mission Alignment: A strong dedication to WILL’s mission of advancing the public interest in free markets, limited government, individual liberty and a robust civil society, including educational freedom and reform.
If you have a passion for storytelling and content creation, along with a creative mindset and technical skills, we would love to hear from you.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials (in order) in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position and the Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty and salary requirements
- If applicable, a portfolio of your previous work. Writing samples and still graphic work should be included in a PDF. Video samples can be linked on your portfolio page.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Senior Manager of Outreach at Talent Market, who is managing the search process: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.