The mission of The William F. Buckley, Jr. Program is to promote intellectual diversity and freedom of speech at Yale University. We aim to foster robust and open debate, provide a home for enlightened conservative thought, and expose students to often-unvoiced views. We believe that genuine intellectual diversity is essential for advancing critical inquiry and seek to challenge ideological complacency wherever it exists.
About the Opening
The Director of Communications will play a critical role in the Buckley Program’s success by implementing its communications strategy. Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Communications will maintain and enhance the Buckley Program’s positive and professional reputation with participants, supporters, the public, and the press. This position will produce clear, high quality, and compelling communications.
The ideal candidate will work from our New Haven, CT office. We will also consider strong candidates based elsewhere who can work virtually and travel to New Haven frequently for events. Because of this, strong preference will be placed on those who can easily drive, take a train, or access New Haven for day trips.
- Implement, refine, and improve the Buckley Program’s communications strategy and plan, overseeing communications calendar
- Develop clear messaging for the organization across all platforms and every communication
- Manage a brand shift for the Program in 2022
- Draft and edit a range of communications including, but not limited to, annual reports, newsletters, press releases, surveys, fundraising letters, email blasts, blog posts, student and donor profiles, and other promotional materials
- Produce engaging and polished content for social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Plan and execute social media strategy
- Create digital and print marketing materials
- Maintain and update websites
- Work with outside vendors on website redesign, paid media, and various campaigns
- Solicit and capture student and alumni content, highlighting stories, interviews, and essays in annual reports, videos, email blasts, and more
- Create list of target audiences, match those audiences with target media and messaging, and construct and execute plan for active nationwide media relations program to produce ongoing stream of coverage to help the organization achieve its goals
- Implement a process for sharing useful media coverage with selected audiences
- Conduct regular press reviews to reflect issues relevant to the mission and activities of the organization
- Promote the organization’s events and initiatives
- Provide communications-related support to volunteer student leaders
- Manage external relations, including media outreach
- Identify opportunities to expand the organization’s reach and increase engagement
- Attend all organization events and take pictures for social media; events take place weekly, on average, and will be returning to in-person as circumstances allow
- Develop and track performance metrics
- Other duties and projects as requested
- 5+ years of related professional experience
- Philosophical alignment with and passion for the William F. Buckley, Jr. Program’s mission
- A bachelor’s degree
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet deadlines, multi-task, and follow through
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, sound judgement, and high degree of professionalism
- Responsible, honest, and dependable
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, mass email platforms, website publishing systems, and social media platforms
- Travel will be limited (approximately 5%) for a candidate located in New Haven. A virtual candidate will need to attend events in New Haven that occur weekly.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position/The William F. Buckley, Jr. Program’s mission and your salary requirements
- A writing sample no more than 5 pages in length
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Director of Network Engagement of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.