The Illinois Policy Institute is seeking a dynamic writer and editor to help the state’s strongest taxpayer advocate connect people to policy by using written and video work to explain policy solutions to challenges facing Illinoisans throughout the state. Ultimately, the new Writer/Editor will be able to work remotely two days a week.
The writer will be a prolific article producer for our website, helping educate and engage Illinoisans on the fiscal and regulatory policy issues that affect their lives. The writer will also be responsible for copyediting web articles and research reports to support the organization’s education-driven mission and to have a holistic view of the Illinois Policy Institute’s scope of work.
Lastly, the writer will play a pivotal role in the Institute’s storytelling project, and will be responsible for sourcing story leads that illustrate how public policy affects Illinoisans’ lives, conducting interviews and producing Your Story content for the website and other articles.
The Illinois Policy Institute is seeking candidates who are passionate about our organization’s mission, who thrive in a fast-paced environment and can juggle multiple campaigns at a time.
Writing and editing – 40%
- Write and edit original Illinois Policy Institute web articles and other content, such as op-eds and donor material and complete media interviews on original research
- Write compelling articles that influence the narrative in our owned audience and legacy media, and that support our research and mission and that also provide the free-market perspective on current events
Provides copy editing and fact checking support – 30%
- Ensure excellence in copyediting and fact-checking across all experts’ and authors’ work
- Protect the Institute and our experts by guaranteeing nothing gets published unless it is error free
Recruit policy “heroes” that underscore the importance of our policy positions – 30%
- Tell the human stories that motivate Illinoisans to fight for change
- Bring together our research and our storytelling work for maximum impact
- Dedication to the Illinois Policy Institute’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- 2+ years of writing, editing and/or newsroom experience
- Ability to meet pressing deadlines
- Experience interviewing and sourcing story leads
- Attention to detail and a firm command of AP Style
- Ability to conduct original research, check facts, and vet sources
- Strong commitment to the principles of personal responsibility and free enterprise
This position is full-time; Salary and overall compensation is competitive.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover letter your sincere interest in this position, the mission of the organization, and your salary requirements
- Two writing samples, ideally public facing, journalistic style pieces such as blog posts
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise