The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For over 80 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity. We use our research and analysis to bring tax changes to the national spotlight, foster competition among the states, and advise policymakers on how to improve their tax systems.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to lead the fundraising team of a growing, dynamic, and fast-paced free market think-tank nonprofit. The ideal candidate will have 7-10 years of nonprofit fundraising experience that demonstrates a record of revenue growth, fundamental understanding of the elements involved in stewardship and solicitation, and strong management experience. The candidate will also have a body of experience managing foundation grants and building strong grantor relationships. Lastly, the candidate will bring a distinct understanding of the internal logistics necessary for a thriving fundraising operation, including accounting best practices, adherence to nonprofit regulations, donor data integrity and privacy, and charity watchdog compliance.
- Supervision of all Development Team members, contractors, vendors, and utilities.
- Management of a multi-million-dollar grants program, including maintenance of all deadline calendars, personal relationship-building with key stakeholders, and adherence to reporting requirements.
- Reporting to the President & CEO and Board of Directors on fundraising activities and revenue, including department-wide expense budget and revenue projections.
- Oversee Tax Foundation’s direct mail program, including management of outside contractors.
- Oversee donation fulfillment program, including gift-processing within Tax Foundation’s CRM/database, daily revenue reports, and IRS-compliant gift receipts.
- Maintenance and oversight of Tax Foundation’s donor database.
- Management of an active new donor acquisition program, including individual and foundation donors.
- In coordination with the Marketing Team, drafting and executing a donor communications calendar, including newsletters, email communications, and Annual Reports.
- Directing the Development Team’s day-to-day operations and accounting functions, including invoice processing, contract negotiations and maintenance with outside contractors and vendors, and support of annual audited financials and 990 completion.
Desired Skill Sets:
- 7-10 years of fundraising experience at a nonprofit, preferably in the free market and/or think-tank space.
- Strong executive function, including employee management and project management.
- Ability to prioritize competing needs and deadlines.
- High proficiency with donor CRMs, preferably Salesforce.
- Demonstrated mastery of grants application process.
- Strong interest in working at an organization prioritizing growth, and understanding of the resultant expectations that places on revenue growth.
- Familiarity reporting team activities to Executive-level employees.
- Comfortable in one-on-one and group settings with funders, including ability to solicit gifts.
Why Work at Tax Foundation?:
At the Tax Foundation you can educate the public, elevate public discourse, and improve public policy, all while having fun! In addition, Tax Foundation offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions, a 401(k) retirement plan with 100% match on first 5%, and we cover 100% of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance. We offer 12 paid holidays and 15 vacation days per year and generous sick leave, plus our office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We also offer casual and early-release Fridays as well as a work-from-home option on Mondays and Fridays for employees in the D.C. area.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications, your interest in this position and Tax Foundation’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.