This position will be responsible for assessing the financial performance of the Institute as well as possible risks related to finance/accounting.
Most important, the person we are looking for will be a servant leader, a strategic thinker, and a “doer” who is motivated by the Leadership Institute’s mission and will act as a fiduciary in the Institute’s interest.
Responsibilities include budget formulation and management, financial modeling and planning, investment decision execution, and personnel and benefits cost tracking.
This position will work closely with other management team members to implement finance and accounting improvements, and to explore how the financial staff can better support LI’s mission.
ABOUT THE LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE
The Leadership Institute is a 501 (c 3) organization that was founded in 1979 by its president, Morton C. Blackwell. LI provides training in campaigns, fundraising, grassroots organizing, youth politics, and communications. The Institute teaches conservatives of all ages how to succeed in politics, government, and the media.
The Institute offers 48 types of training schools, workshops, and seminars; a free employment placement service; and a national field program that trains conservative students to organize campus groups.
Since 1979, LI has trained more than 210,989 conservative activists, leaders, and students. The Institute’s unique college campus network has grown to more than 2,110 conservative campus groups and newspapers.
- Oversee the bookkeeping functions including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable/receivable (including signatures, coding, data entry, etc.), etc.
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems (Currently Great Plains)
- timely and regular financial reporting (GAAP)
- preparation of the annual Form 990 and audited financial statements
- Monthly reconciliation of accounts, month-end and year-end close outs, prep of financial statements and other necessary reports
- Manage and prepare the annual budget in consultation with leadership
- Develop and oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management
- Manage cash flow and forecasting; direct all financial, project-based and departmental accounting
- Record Keeping
- Maintenance of all electronic and hard-copy vendor files
- Internal controls
- Direct the Controller in providing and directing procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
- Oversee the annual audit and tax filings and liaise with the Board and the auditors as necessary
- Support President and Board
- Board meeting presentations
- Provide strategic recommendations to the President and board of directors based on financial analysis of projections, cost identification and allocation and revenue/expense analysis
- Advise the organization’s leadership on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization and the Board
- 10+ years of financial management experience
- Degree in Accounting or Finance or applicable experience
- CPA or MBA is strongly preferred
- Effective communication skills and a strong commitment to developing team members
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operation model
- Philosophical alignment with/passion for LI’s mission
- Experience with 501c3 organizations
- Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains)
- Raiser’s Edge
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants must also have an up-to-date and complete jobseeker profile on www.conservativejobs.com to be considered for an interview.
After completing/updating your jobseeker profile on conservativejobs.com, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing:
- Your interest in the position/the mission of LI
- Your salary requirements
- Confirmation that you have completed/updated your jobseeker profile
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.