The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty (WILL) is a public interest law and policy center based in Milwaukee. Through pro bono litigation, policy analysis, and public education, WILL advances the cause of freedom and liberty in areas relating to the rule of law, school choice, economic liberty, free speech, and federalism.
Founded in 2011 by current President Rick Esenberg, WILL has quickly grown to become the largest State Policy Network “think tank” in the state of Wisconsin with its policy work frequently cited by opinion leaders and lawmakers as well as local and national media. The litigation side is now one of the largest state-based litigation centers in the country. Punctuated by a recent major victory for campus free speech in McAdams v. Marquette, WILL is one of the most influential advocates before the state Supreme Court in Wisconsin, arguing five times in the 2017-18 term alone.
WILL now seeks a Vice President or Director of Development (depending on experience) to be based either in a Virtual Office or at our headquarters in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We are interested in finding the person who will help us grow into the next stage of our development as one of the most preeminent state-based policy and litigation centers in the country.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising plan needed to grow the WILL budget through the solicitation of individual major gifts, planned giving, foundation support, corporate giving, high direct mail, annual events, and special projects
- Crafting and executing a robust mail program that includes direct mail, prospecting, informational mailers, and regular email communications.
- Advancing WILL’s major gift program, including the identification and cultivation of high dollar donors
- Serving as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting WILL, including bringing new ideas to the team
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the fundraising department, including managing the fundraising budget, processes and goals
Qualifications and Requirements
- 5+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization with demonstrated success in a development function; we will also consider candidates coming from outside this arena who have the transferable skills and dedication to be successful
- Proven or potential fundraising or sales ability through personal solicitation, including ability to cultivate major gifts
- Outstanding personal presence, affability, polish and ability to connect with people
- Ability to lead in a positive manner; providing both strategic and tactical insight to various fundraising initiatives
- Demonstrated philosophical alignment with WILL’s mission and the ability and passion to understand that mission and to persuasively articulate its importance and the ways in which WILL advances it
- Strong organizational and program management skills; you never miss a deadline or forget a friend’s birthday
- Strong relationship building and networking skills; experience fundraising for conservative or libertarian public policy organizations or a robust conservative/libertarian network strongly preferred
- Strategic thinking skills and ability to effectively implement strategy
- Strong sense of humor and fun
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience
- Benefits include health, dental, life and disability insurance (with WILL paying 100% of the premiums); company contribution to HSA and 401(k) with company match
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your sincere interest in this position and the mission of the organization, b) how your past experience would contribute to success in this position, and c) your salary requirements.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.