The Talent Engagement Manager will be a critical part of our close-knit team. Specifically, the Talent Engagement Manager will focus on four main initiatives:
- Manage talent searches for free-market nonprofits – The Talent Engagement Manager will work with Talent Market clients to help identify, evaluate, and place the best and brightest individuals in key positions. This will include assisting with key steps of the hiring process: consulting about human capital needs, developing job descriptions, proactively recruiting from our network of talent (which includes many individuals from outside the movement), vetting candidates, reference checking, and extending/negotiating offers.
- Consult with nonprofit clients and candidates – The Talent Engagement Manager will serve as a valuable source of information to free-market nonprofits about strategies to attract, retain, and maximize talent. He/she will also regularly provide guidance and resources to individuals with an interest in a liberty-advancing career.
- Engage in outreach to the free-market network and beyond – The Talent Engagement Manager will occasionally engage in outreach to free-market nonprofits and individuals through presentations, workshops, webinars, and speaking engagements on topics related to talent.
- Manage Talent Market’s social media presence – The Talent Engagement Manager will regularly update Talent Market’s social media pages. Our aim is to have a presence that engages, entertains, and provides valuable content for our audiences. While we believe social media is important, we don’t believe it will cure cancer or bring about world peace; therefore, this will only take up a small portion of your time.
What You Bring to the Table
- 5+ years of experience in the liberty movement – You know the free-market universe very well. And people know you. You’re a big tent type who is comfortable working with both conservative and libertarian organizations that advance economic liberty.
- A sense of humor – You laugh a lot. You take your work seriously, but you don’t take yourself too seriously. You’re more likely to be accused of talking like a sailor than talking like an attorney.
- Solid judgment – You’re observant, have a good memory, and make smart decisions. You have a superb gut instinct; you are the first one to know when your BFF is dating a scumbag.
- Passion for liberty – You believe strongly in free-market principles and have a sincere interest in working in the liberty movement to make the world a better place. You realize you could potentially earn more in the private sector, but can’t stomach the idea of making lame widgets. You have a natural distaste for politics, but you absolutely love the ideas-side of policy.
- People skills – You’re completely at ease interacting with a wide variety of people. You’re not like Milton from Office Space. And people actually like you.
- Sincerity – You’re genuine. You’re not a used car salesman or a snake oil peddler, and you sure as heck don’t sell Rodan+Fields. People trust you because they know you are authentic and honest. You can deliver tough feedback and bad news with the grace of Mary Poppins.
- Confidentiality – You can keep a secret. You can hear the most intriguing, salacious detail about someone or something and you have no desire to repeat it. If you enjoy gossip, you should stop reading this job description immediately and turn on The View.
- Organizational skills – You’re organized. You never lose your keys or your sunglasses (except when they’re on your head, but that’s understandable). You don’t miss appointments or scheduled calls. You like lists and spreadsheets and calendars.
- Data-driven – You dork out on data. You understand the value of a database filled with clean, reliable data. You know what I mean when I say “garbage in, garbage out.” You geek out on pulling queries and running reports that will provide valuable insight and affect your actions.
- Default for action – You’re a self-motivated doer. You get stuff done. You’re not a procrastinator who dilly-dallies. You’re also decisive. When you’re at a restaurant, it doesn’t take you 25 minutes to decide what to order (and if it does, we’re never going out to eat together). Above all, you are focused on making sure the action you take creates value.
- Sense of urgency – You’re the hare (not the tortoise), but you don’t nap in the middle of the race. You thrive in a fast-paced environment with lots of moving parts. You love getting stuff done, and you want to make sure it’s done right. When you make a mistake, you acknowledge it, make it right, and move on.
- Responsiveness – Because you have a high sense of urgency, you like to be responsive to people. You don’t let emails or voicemails hang in the ether. You keep people informed and you always, always close the loop.
- Evidence you can work virtually – If you’ve ever dreamed of working from home so you can get back into your old soap opera rotation, please do not apply. Virtual work puts a focus on results, and we expect this person will be a productivity whiz.
Other Stuff You Might Want to Know
- This is a full-time role.
- We offer a generous benefits package.
- We mean it when we say you can work virtually, but no matter where you live, we’ll expect you to keep regular business hours. (And if you’re on the West Coast, you’ll have to set your rooster to crow reallllllly early.) You should have access to a quiet, private home office.
Want to Throw Your Hat in the Ring?
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing
- your interest in this position
- your philosophical interest in Talent Market’s mission
- your experience making presentations (it’s okay if you don’t have any)
- your experience working with databases/CRMs (which ones? are a you a whiz?)
- salary requirements
- location preference
- evidence of your sense of humor
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market: [email protected]
It goes without saying, but we’re going to be real sticklers for following directions. If you mess up once, we’ll probably insist you adopt a dog from a local shelter before we give you a second shot.
No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.