The Kansas Justice Institute is the new public-interest litigation center fighting for the constitutional rights of all Kansans in the courts of law and public opinion. KJI’s work will focus on protecting property rights, the right to earn a living, free speech and association, school choice, students’ right to an education, and criminal justice reform consistent with Kansas Policy Institute’s larger effort to protect and promote liberty in Kansas. For too long, legal battles have been left to those willing to expand the scope of government further into civil society and the lives of individuals Kansans. KJI will engage in the legal work necessary to ensure that a robust civil society can serve the needs of all Kansans and that each Kansan is free to live and work as they see fit. KJI will also engage in appropriate, compelling advocacy efforts to achieve policy change in other corridors of power and with the broader public. This is a new role and part of a new organization. As such, an entrepreneurial spirit will be needed to get KJI off the ground and operating smoothly to protect the Constitutional rights of all Kansans.
The Government Justice Center (GJC) seeks a highly motivated, enthusiastic individual to help execute the vision of the GJC and handle litigation in state and federal courts throughout New York. This position will work closely with the GJC’s Executive Director and General Counsel.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for The Government Justice Center’s mission to protect taxpayers from government waste, negligence, abuse, and other improper actions. Within these parameters, the Litigation Counsel will have a certain degree of flexibility of what litigation issues are in his/her portfolio. For example, given the recent Janus ruling, a candidate with employment and labor experience and interest would have significant responsibilities for matters relating to the Janus implementation in New York state.
We believe our government functions best when held to the highest standards of transparency and accountability, and that government should follow the same laws to which private citizens are held. We work to make sure New Yorkers get the transparency and due process they deserve and are entitled to.
Preferably the Litigation Counsel will work from the Government Justice Center’s office in Albany. We will also consider a candidate working remotely that is able to make periodic visits to Albany.
- assisting finding, vetting, creating legal strategy for and representing GJC clients in and out of court;
- assisting with fundraising efforts to support the operations and work of the GJC;
- working closely with partner organizations; and
- providing general support to the GJC’s operations and strategic vision.
- strong writing ability and creative research skills;
- ability to work collaboratively but also manage a caseload independently;
- strong verbal and interpersonal skills
- admitted to the New York bar or willing to become admitted within one year of being hired;
- 4+ years of litigation experience preferred;
- knowledge of and interest in the public policy issues on which the Government Justice Center will focus, particularly employment and labor;
- an affinity with the Government Justice Center’s approach to protecting New Yorkers from improper government actions.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- cover letter detailing:
- candidate background;
- interest in the position and the mission of GJC;
- a compelling case for why the applicant would excel in this position;
- office location if preference is to work virtually; and
- salary requirements.
- two concise writing samples.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
The Beacon Center is Tennessee’s premier free market public policy organization. Beacon is pound for pound the most effective and efficient state-level think tank on the planet. With a staff of just nine, Beacon has achieved remarkable policy victories that have empowered Tennesseans to reclaim control of their lives. Our recent accomplishments include:
- Repealing the state death tax and phasing out the Hall Income Tax, becoming just the second state in history to eliminate an income tax. These tax cuts have cumulatively saved taxpayers more than $2.5 billion to date.
- Enacting the nation’s fourth education savings account program, Tennessee’s first private school choice program.
- Blocking an unaffordable and immoral expansion of Medicaid under Obamacare…twice.
- Advancing free market healthcare reforms, including direct primary care, an overhaul of Tennessee’s certificate of need laws, Medicaid work requirements, and Right to Try.
- Helping usher in the nation’s first Right to Earn a Living Act to bring about occupational licensing reform, and successfully repealing multiple licensing laws.
- Establishing a high profile and broad-based coalition to advance sensible criminal justice reforms.
As a result of our efforts, thousands of Tennesseans can now realize the American Dream. But we’re still not satisfied, and we won’t be until Tennessee becomes and remains the freest, most prosperous state in the nation.