The Beacon Center is Tennessee’s premier free market public policy organization. Beacon is pound for pound the most effective and efficient state-level think tank on the planet. With a staff of just nine, Beacon has achieved remarkable policy victories that have empowered Tennesseans to reclaim control of their lives. Our recent accomplishments include:
- Repealing the state death tax and phasing out the Hall Income Tax, becoming just the second state in history to eliminate an income tax. These tax cuts have cumulatively saved taxpayers more than $2.5 billion to date.
- Enacting the nation’s fourth education savings account program, Tennessee’s first private school choice program.
- Blocking an unaffordable and immoral expansion of Medicaid under Obamacare…twice.
- Advancing free market healthcare reforms, including direct primary care, an overhaul of Tennessee’s certificate of need laws, Medicaid work requirements, and Right to Try.
- Helping usher in the nation’s first Right to Earn a Living Act to bring about occupational licensing reform, and successfully repealing multiple licensing laws.
- Establishing a high profile and broad-based coalition to advance sensible criminal justice reforms.
As a result of our efforts, thousands of Tennesseans can now realize the American Dream. But we’re still not satisfied, and we won’t be until Tennessee becomes and remains the freest, most prosperous state in the nation.