Pacific Legal Foundation (PLF) identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedent that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion. Our attorneys have 12 victories before the U.S. Supreme Court—a record unmatched by anyone in the liberty movement. Simply put, we know how to get cases to the Supreme Court and we know how to win.
A national nonprofit organization, PLF has offices in Sacramento, California; Arlington, Virginia; Palm Beach Gardens, Florida; and Seattle, Washington. The State Policy Manager will work from the Arlington, Virginia office when not traveling for the job, but the right candidates will have the ability to work virtually or from another office part of the time.
PLF seeks an energetic and experienced state policy and legislative professional to help expand and lead PLF’s influence in state capitals. The State Policy Manager will also assist in policy promotion as part of the legal policy team at the federal level.
The legal policy component at PLF (at the state and federal levels) is a key part of the organization’s strategic plan. The state policy position provides an opportunity to play an important role that will increase PLF’s prominence and expand its success advancing liberty outside the courts. Reporting to the Legal Policy Director, the State Policy Manager will also work with the litigation, research, and communications teams to help develop and execute strategies to secure state legislative and executive reforms to expand individual liberty. The State Policy Manager will need a high degree of entrepreneurship and initiative to execute new projects that are part of the legal policy strategic plan.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with state policy makers and policy influencers to promote PLF’s policy priorities
- Frequent travel to target states, especially during legislative sessions; we anticipate this role will be traveling at least 30% of the time
- Analyze and track legislation of interest at the state level, and identify opportunities to improve, promote, or oppose legislation to further liberty
- Assist in developing and executing all other aspects of PLF’s state legislative and administrative strategy, and provide assistance at the federal level, including:
- Communicating accurately and effectively with lawmakers, executive officials, and their staff on complex policy and legal issues
- Preparing and delivering legislative testimony and agency rulemaking comments, and facilitating the same by others at PLF
- Writing persuasively on a variety of policy issues for op-eds, website copy, social media, and other venues
- Attending state-based and national conferences and working group meetings to gather information and further PLF’s goals
- Working effectively with affinity partners, including preparing talking points and other written material and leading discussions in working group settings
- Working with the PLF legal team and others to draft model legislation on priority issues and promote it effectively
Additional Skills/Preferred Experience
- 3-10 years of relevant experience executing the key job duties
- Have relationships of value (in the states and the liberty movement), and is a natural at building and strengthening such relationships
- A proven record of impact on policy or legal reform in the political branches.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Adherence to and knowledge of the principles of liberty.
- History of advancement over time in previous roles.
- Work well with every component at PLF, across several offices, and thus, should have a record of working productively and collaboratively in analogous settings
- A legal degree is not required but is desired; must have a demonstrated ability to understand legal nuance.
This is a full-time, permanent position. PLF is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest quality talent available nationwide, and we offer a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, and employer-paid retirement savings. We take work-life balance seriously through our generous paid leave and flextime policies. We have a flexible, collaborative, positive, and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in your future and encourage internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications, your sincere interest in this position and PLF’s mission, and your salary requirements
- 1 writing sample of your choice
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.