The Tax Foundation is the nation’s leading independent tax policy 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Since 1937, our principled research, insightful analysis, and engaged experts have informed smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels. For over 80 years, our goal has remained the same: to improve lives through tax policies that lead to greater economic growth and opportunity.
The Tax Foundation seeks a State Tax Policy Analyst to join its state policy team. The state team produces several annual studies and dozens of smaller reports each year, testifies and presents on tax proposals across the country, educates the public through regular media appearances, and works with lawmakers and policy organizations at the national level and in the states to promote smarter, pro-growth tax policy.
A successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with high-profile annual projects, including participating in the buildout of an improved version of our State Business Tax Climate Index and compiling data for our annual Facts & Figures publication. They will also produce blog posts and collaborate on longer reports that advance principled tax policy. In addition to broader research obligations, each analyst on the state policy team takes “ownership” of legislative and other stakeholder relationships in a set of states, which will provide opportunities for legislative testimony, media appearances, and presentations.
The State Tax Policy Analyst reports to the Vice President of State Projects and can work from the Tax Foundation’s Washington, D.C. office or from a virtual office elsewhere in the country.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of current state tax policy and economic issues, and identify new research opportunities
- Conduct research and collect data for signature Tax Foundation publications
- Oversee Tax Foundation legislative and policy engagement in a given set of states
- Research and author or co-author studies, reports, blog posts, and other materials on state tax issues
- Expand the Tax Foundation’s profile with policymakers, academics, the media, and interested stakeholders through media appearances, responses to inquiries, and presentations/briefings
Qualifications and Skills
- 0-3 years of experience
- Undergraduate degree in economics, public policy, political science, or related field preferred but not required
- Experience researching and writing about tax/public finance policy preferred but not required
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Alignment with, and interest in, Tax Foundation’s mission
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team, often on tight deadlines
- Occasional travel required, and frequency may increase with tenure
Why Work at the Tax Foundation?
At the Tax Foundation, you can educate the public, elevate public discourse, and improve public policy, all while having fun! In addition, the Tax Foundation offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include HSA-based health coverage with employer contributions, a 401(k) retirement plan with 100% match on the first 5%, and we cover 100% of the premiums for dental and vision coverage and life/AD&D/LTD insurance. We offer 12 paid holidays, 15 vacation days per year, and generous sick leave, plus our office is closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. We also offer casual and early-release Fridays.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, which should detail your interest in this position and the Tax Foundation’s work, as well as your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.