DonorsTrust is a boutique donor-advised fund dedicated to promoting liberty and serving donors who share our mission. We work like a charitable savings account for donors that are committed to protecting our Nation’s constitutional liberties and strengthening civil society through private institutions rather than with government programs. Since our founding in 1999, our client donors have recommended issuance of $1 billion in grants to over 1,900 civic and liberty-oriented charities. DonorsTrust presently hold assets in excess of $400 million, primarily allocated to donor-advised fund accounts.
DonorsTrust is seeking a Senior Accountant to work closely with the Controller and CFO, as well as all DonorsTrust team members. The successful candidate will have 2 to 7 years of accounting experience, a bachelor’s degree in accounting, and a commitment and the ability to handle confidential donor information discretely. CPA or CPA candidate is a plus, but not required.
DonorsTrust is a rapidly growing donor-advised fund sponsoring organization and there is room for advancement for high level performers. But we are also looking for candidates who perform exceptionally and don’t want the “up-or-out” environment often found at public accounting firms. Perhaps you are looking to move up the ladder or find a permanent home that recognizes your value, or you have found the 60 to 80 hour public accounting grind is not for you, and that you would like to move to a “regular hours” type position. Or perhaps you are tired of “making widgets” and looking for an opportunity that will make a deep and meaningful impact advancing constitutional liberties and the free-market. If any of this resonates with you, this position may be your dream job. Prior non-profit experience is not required, however, a willingness to be flexible as to responsibilities and duties is important.
The primary duties for this role include:
- Daily posting of transactions to donors’ accounts
- Updating online information for donors’ accounts
- Setting up advisor accounts for on-line access
- Reconciling donors’ accounts against master accounts on a daily basis
- General ledger entries
- Preparing reconciliations of financial institution accounts
- Learning grant procedures to be able to assist with grant processing as necessary
- Learning contribution procedures to be able to assist with contributions processing as necessary
- Preparation of accounts payable
- Maintenance of vendor information
- Various other duties and responsibilities as needs arise, and time allows
- 2-7 years of accounting experience
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, a CPA or CPA candidate is a plus but not required
- A philosophical commitment to the cause of liberty
- High degree of discretion and the ability to handle confidential information
Our office is conveniently located in Alexandria, VA next to the King Street metro stop. However, we will consider applicants based in a virtual office on a case-by-case basis. For candidates preferring a virtual office, they must demonstrates an ability to work remotely, travel to the Alexandria office as necessary, and be available for an initial three month in-office training period. All candidates will be given an opportunity to work remotely, at least part-time.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. DonorsTrust offers a 403(b) retirement plan and, commencing with second calendar year with DonorsTrust, a SEP-IRA plan to which DonorsTrust contributes. We also pay for parking or metro stipend. DonorsTrust maintains and contributes an HRA plan that allows for pre-tax payment of certain medical expenses, including, in some cases, medical insurance premiums of individual policy holders.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in a single PDF:
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your sincere interest in this position/the mission of DonorsTrust
- A confirmation that you have experience with reconciliations and a brief overview of what that experience has entailed
- A confirmation that you dig technology and one illustration of such (e.g. you named your dog GUI)
- Your salary requirements
- Your office location preference
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.