About State Policy Network:
State Policy Network (SPN) catalyzes thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored by high-performing, independent think tanks. We support the growth and success of a collaborative and entrepreneurial network of 65 independent state think tank affiliates and over 90 partners, connecting talented state leaders so they can learn, challenge, and grow together, while advancing state policy reform initiatives.
About the Senior Director of Policy Initiatives Opening:
SPN is seeking a Senior Director of Policy Initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a passion for sound public policy that promotes federalism and has demonstrated success in building and working with coalitions, as well as experience working with state legislatures. The right person for this role will be a strategic thinker, exceptional communicator, and have a track record of managing complex projects in multiple states.
The role requires someone dedicated to helping state-based policy organizations advance crucial policy reforms, partnering with those organizations to support their efforts, and helping them succeed. The ideal candidate will have the ability to develop strategies, while managing people and projects in a fast-paced environment. As a partner to state-based organizations, they will seek opportunities to help build and strengthen the policy and government affairs capabilities of the Network.
The Senior Director of Policy Initiatives will report to the Vice President of Policy Advancement. The position is virtual but the new hire will travel 25-30% (or more) (when safe) and dependent on their location.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
The Senior Director of Policy Initiatives will have the following main roles:
- Serve as the SPN point person internally and externally on multi-state policy reform initiative(s). This includes building and facilitating the coordination of critical state-based coalitions, as well as coordinating internal stakeholders and contractors on government affairs, communications, and development to support the coalition.
- Seek out the best policy reforms, share best practices, and coordinate multi-state strategies for implementation. This will include working with state-based coalitions to evaluate policy needs and policy solutions, and working alongside those coalitions to develop and implement strategies to secure lasting reforms.
- Project management. The Senior Director will manage budgets, staffing, contracts, grants, and be responsible for reporting to internal and external stakeholders on outcomes.
The ideal candidate will be a service-oriented, self-starter, who is able to share public acclaim for a job well done. We seek the following skills and experience:
- 8+ years of experience in multi-state policy advocacy or issue-based campaigns.
- 5+ years of experience in K-12 education state and federal policy. This requires familiarity with the influencers and voices in K-12 education reform. This could include previous experience as a teacher or administrator.
- Passion for SPN’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage strategic plans and projects as well as motivate people in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong facilitation, communication, and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with state-based organizations and the state legislative process.
- Experience creating and developing systems for regular tracking of success against goals.
- Experience managing grants and contracts (preferred).
- Experience managing large budgets (preferred).
- The position will require 25-30% (or more) travel (when safe) and dependent on candidate’s location.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your interest in this position, b) your interest in/commitment to the mission of State Policy Network c) salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: http://www.talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.