State Policy Network (SPN) catalyzes thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored by high-performing, independent think tanks. We support the growth and success of a collaborative and entrepreneurial network of 65 independent state think tank affiliates and over 90 partners, connecting talented state leaders so they can learn, challenge, and grow together, while advancing state policy reform initiatives.
About the Grants Manager Opening
In support of the organization’s mission to catalyze thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, SPN regularly partners with generous donors on targeted grant programs to support the work of state-based policy organizations. SPN is seeking a Grants Manager to oversee these grant-making efforts. The right person for this role will likely have a background in fundraising or philanthropy, with the ability to develop and execute systems to help drive high-leverage investments in state-based policy organizations that further SPN’s mission and honor donor intent.
The role requires someone with excellent project management skills and the ability to create and drive internal strategies, systems, and processes in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively partner with internal and external stakeholders. The Grants Manager will work within and across teams to administer SPN’s grants management process.
The position is virtual but will require some travel (less than 15%, when safe).
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
The Grants Manager will have the following main roles
- Oversee all SPN grant-making. This will include working with internal and external stakeholders to develop and drive effective investment strategies that advance organizational goals and meet donor intent; administering our internal grants management process, including coordinating and executing internal timelines and task lists, grant award administration, and grantee reporting processes; rigorously tracking, evaluating, and reporting on impact; using data to inform needed adjustments to grant-making strategies; and ensuring consistency and quality control in each stage of the grant-making process, as well as excellent customer service for grantees and donor partners.
- Manage large-scale RFP projects. This will include managing the RFP process from beginning to end, including coordinating and executing internal timelines and task lists for RFP planning, committee review preparation, grant award administration, and grantee reporting processes; working with project managers, SPN’s fundraising team, and network and donor partners to ensure all RFPs result in high-value proposals and projects that advance clear objectives; and serving as a key contact for state-based organizations participating in the RFP process.
- Support efforts of state-based policy organizations to grow their fundraising efforts. This will include providing input on proposal and grant report writing, ensuring partner organizations have the information they need to successfully participate in SPN-sponsored RFPs and other grant-making opportunities; and serving as the point person for grant-related questions.
The ideal candidate will be a service-oriented, self-starter, who is able to work effectively as part of a diverse team in a virtual environment. We seek the following skills and experience:
- 5+ years of experience in a philanthropic- or fundraising-related role, including familiarity with proposal and grant writing
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to develop and track measurable goals, as well as juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for SPN’s mission and some familiarity with the work of state-based policy organizations
- Demonstrated communication and relationship management skills, including the ability to communicate clearly with internal and external audiences, as well cultivate strong working relationships with diverse audiences
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Experience with data management (Salesforce experience is ideal)
- The position will require some travel (less than 15%) (when safe)
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as PDFs:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of SPN and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.