About State Policy Network:
State Policy Network is a coalition of 64 state think tanks representing all 50 states, over 66 state allied organizations in key capacities (like litigation, journalism, and advocacy), and more than 90 national partners, all dedicated to the principles of liberty and federalism. SPN exists to make these organizations better, faster, and stronger than if each worked alone. The power of the Network is in scaling critical state and local solutions, so they spread from state to state, leading to national impact.
About the Director of Policy Initiatives Opening:
SPN is seeking a Director of Education Policy Initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has a passion for sound public policy that promotes education reform and has demonstrated success in building and working with coalitions, as well as experience working with state legislatures. The right person for this role will be a strategic thinker, an exceptional communicator, and have a track record of managing complex projects in multiple states.
The role requires someone dedicated to helping state-based policy organizations advance crucial education policy reforms, partnering with those organizations to support their efforts, and helping them succeed. The ideal candidate will be able to develop advocacy strategies, coach education reformers, and work with diverse coalition partners in a fast-paced environment.
The Director of Education Policy Initiatives will report to the Vice President of Programs.
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus benefits. Much of SPN’s staff are remote and this position is eligible to work remotely from a virtual office anywhere in the United States.
The Director of Education Policy Initiatives will have the following main roles:
- Serve as the SPN point person internally and externally on education policy reform initiative(s). This includes building and facilitating critical state-based coalitions, as well as coordinating fellow SPN team members to support the coalition.
- Seek out the best education policy reforms, share best practices, and coordinate multi-state strategies for implementation. This will include working with education reform coalitions to evaluate policy needs and policy solutions and working alongside those coalitions to develop and implement strategies to secure lasting reforms.
- Serve as SPN spokesperson on education reforms. This includes public speaking, drafting articles, toolkits, or other materials needed to further the education policy strategy.
The ideal candidate will be a service-oriented, self-starter, who is able to share public acclaim for a job well done. We seek the following skills and experience:
- 8+ years of experience in multi-state policy advocacy, coalition building, outreach or issue-based campaigns.
- 5+ years of experience in K-12 education state policy. This requires familiarity with the influencers and voices in K-12 education reform. This could include previous experience as a teacher or administrator.
- Passion for SPN’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and motivate partners in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong facilitation, communication, and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with state-based organizations and the state legislative process.
- The position will require 25-30% (or more) travel and is dependent on the candidate’s location (50-60% of travel will be on the east coast).
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position, SPN’s mission, and salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise