State Policy Network is a coalition of state think tanks representing all 50 states, over 66 state allied organizations in key capacities (like litigation, journalism, and advocacy), and more than 90 national partners, all dedicated to the principles of liberty and federalism. SPN exists to make these organizations better, faster, and stronger than if each worked alone. The power of the Network is in scaling critical state and local solutions so they spread from state to state, leading to national impact.
About the Role
State Policy Network is seeking a Senior Development Officer or Development Officer to join our team. This position is ideal for a pro-liberty, entrepreneurial candidate with experience in growing long term, sustainable relationships with philanthropists. The Senior/Development Officer’s role advances SPN’s mission and strategic objectives by working closely with donors to align their goals with SPN’s mission.
The Senior/Development Officer will report directly to our Senior Director of Development and will be responsible for the results of his/her major gifts portfolio which will include a mix of current donors and prospects. We are looking for a candidate that will have fire in the belly and drive to build a portfolio primarily through prospecting.
This position can be based in SPN’s Arlington, VA headquarters or in a virtual office.
Manage a major gifts portfolio: Responsible for developing and managing a moves management strategy for a portfolio of 100+/- donors and prospects with the capacity to make gifts of $25K+. Territory may be nationwide.
- Increase SPN’s fundraising capacity through the successful qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individuals having the capacity to make gifts of $25K and above
- Work to creatively match donor interests with institutional priorities
- Develop funding proposals and structure complex gifts, including planned gifts
- Prepare briefings, stewardship plans/letters and other correspondence for prospects, collaborating with staff as needed
- Motivate and support leadership and volunteers to solicit gifts when appropriate
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of SPN’s funding priorities
- 5+ years of fundraising experience with a primary focus on closing major gifts ($25,000+) and depth of understanding of SPN to be considered a Senior Development Officer.
- 3+ years of fundraising experience for a Development Officer.
- Ability to travel at least 50%
- Strong interest in advancing State Policy Network’s mission and impact
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- A team player that can work in a fast-paced, high volume environment in professional manner
- An entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, and capacity to prioritize and balance multiple projects and effectively and meet deadlines
- Strong analytical skills, organizational skills, and superb attention to detail
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated experience with complex giving vehicles, planned gifts, and estate planning a plus
- Knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel and Outlook (advanced Excel knowledge or experience with Salesforce a plus)
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in the position/SPN’s mission
- Salary requirements
- In-office or virtual office location preference
- Travel availability
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Director of Network Engagement of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.