The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, CF transforms free-market ideas into public policies so all Pennsylvanians can flourish.
Our research and advocacy have led to lower taxes on working Pennsylvanians, greater transparency in state government spending and contracts, criminal justice reform that reduced both prison population and crime and increased educational options for thousands of students.
Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
CF seeks a Senior Policy Analyst to assist in our state budget and fiscal policy efforts. The Senior Policy Analyst will produce transformative research products, and effectively communicate our ideas to strategic audiences including state lawmakers and the media while upholding, at all times, CF’s values. The Senior Policy Analyst will report to the Director of Policy Analysis and work in Harrisburg, Philadelphia, or a remote location with regular travel (at least once a month) to our Harrisburg office.
Policy Research, Analysis, and Writing:
- Conduct credible research and collect data to provide relevant policy analysis on issues in alignment with CF’s policy goals.
- Produce professional publications that elevate Commonwealth Foundation’s reputation as an intellectual leader on state issues. Publications must adhere to CF’s policy positions, guarantee of quality scholarship, and “PHD voice” (personalize, humanize, and dramatize).
- Publications include popular writing for the website and op-eds, occasional policy reports, targeted fact sheets, backgrounders, and data visualizations.
- Communicate with audiences in mind—lawmakers, donors, and media—tailoring publications to their needs and how they consume information.
- Respond to ad hoc requests and provide rapid response and analysis of legislative/policy development and trending news.
- Stay informed about the political environment in Pennsylvania and quickly leverage relevant developments to advance CF’s policy priorities.
- Work with the Director of Policy Analysis to manage and oversee the execution of assigned research projects, ensuring all staff members are aware of their roles and updated with the latest developments.
Public Affairs & Communications:
- Capitalize on media opportunities to give radio, newspaper, and TV interviews to advance our policy goals.
- Ensure CF staff are equipped with policy updates and knowledge needed to succeed at their jobs—this includes those working with lawmakers, media, and donors.
- Help the communications team craft stories about why our policy solutions are the best way to improve the quality of life and standard of living using CF’s “PHD language” (personalize, humanize, and dramatize).
- Share a commitment to the free-market principles of CF.
- 5+ years of experience in policy analysis, or a related field.
- Familiarity with labor policy preferred.
- Background in quantitative economic analysis preferred.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Monthly stipend for health care.
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology and home office supplies.
- Matching retirement plan.
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for Commonwealth’s mission, and your salary requirements
- A writing sample of 500-1000 words
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.