The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) supports and partners with professors to promote the teaching and research of classical liberal ideas and to advance higher education’s core purpose of intellectual discovery and human progress. Our vision is to ensure higher education becomes a place where classical liberal ideas are regularly taught, discussed, challenged, and developed, and where free speech, intellectual diversity, and open inquiry flourish.
Each year IHS provides professors and graduate students with various forms of career assistance, including mentoring, placement recommendations, and career development seminars. We also award more than $1 million in scholarships to graduate students. Through on-campus programs, IHS promotes the study of liberty across a broad range of disciplines, encouraging understanding, open inquiry, rigorous scholarship, and creative problem-solving.
About this position:
IHS is looking for an experienced, talented, and philosophically committed writer to join our fundraising team. Ideal candidates see writing as their craft and relish the opportunity to write succinctly to make an effective point. This person will be adept at assuming an organization’s or individual’s voice and have a knack for producing high-quality, written materials. He or she will thrive in a collaborative environment and be comfortable with constructive feedback. The ideal candidate will also have a deep philosophical appreciation for classical liberal thought and for advancing the ideas of freedom in America’s colleges and universities.
The Senior Grants Writer works closely with and reports to the Director of Foundations Communications. Our office is located in Arlington, VA, but we will consider candidates who prefer to work virtually, provided they are able to make periodic trips to the office.
- Write and edit grant proposals, reports, thank you letters, newsletters, brochures, and other materials that motivate and inform IHS donors
- Collaborate and improve the development team’s internal communications systems and processes to better serve our donors
- Interact with the program, finance, and metric teams to gather information of interest to donors
- Manage a select number of foundation accounts, assuming responsibility for communications and grant writing
- Work with multiple teams within IHS including development, marketing, and senior leaders to ensure uniform quality of voice and content
- 4+ years of professional experience in fundraising, journalism, communications, speech writing, or a related field.
- A motivating appreciation for the mission and work of the Institute for Humane Studies
- Demonstrated and superior writing, research, and editing skills
- A proven ability to work independently, accept and give constructive feedback, and prioritize and manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail, including editing skills and familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Preferred experience includes: at least one year of grant-writing experience with a nonprofit organization, experience tracking deliverables in a CRM such as Salesforce, and a background in development, fundraising, or customer relations.
We have a flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional growth. Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. IHS provides exceptional benefits to all employees, including health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health and dental insurance premium for individuals), health savings accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit and 12 free tuition credit hours annually at George Mason University.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Cover letter which specifically explains 1) your interest in IHS’s work, 2) how your experience relates to the job description and why you would excel, and 3) your salary requirements
- At least two writing samples you feel offer good examples of your style and quality of writing
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.