Students For Liberty (SFL) is the largest pro-liberty student organization in the world with students active in well over 100 countries on every inhabited continent. With a multi-million dollar budget and over 60 full-time staff members, we serve pro-liberty students in their pursuit to become leaders of liberty. Our mission is to educate, develop, and empower the next generation of leaders of liberty. We accomplish this through a strategy of empowerment, identifying the top students, and training them to be agents of change in their communities. Last year, our students organized over 2,700 events with over 120,000 people in attendance. We are a remote, vibrant, and entrepreneurial organization working with a diverse group in the US and around the world.
About the Role
The Director of Development is a new position that is now needed due to the growth of the organization. Up until now, SFL’s CEO has overseen the development team. To allow the CEO more time to focus on developing the vision and strategy of the organization, and cultivating our top donor relationships, we need a Director of Development who can bring Students For Liberty fundraising to the next level. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Development will manage a team of fundraisers and work with the CEO on his portfolio. The CEO is a passionate fundraiser and willing to go above and beyond to reach new revenue goals.
SFL has sophisticated systems in place and a great product. Our development department has a well-maintained and utilized database in place as well as a thought-through division of labor among the team members. Our data, dashboards, and process documentation are in a great state. The development team is passionate and always willing to learn, grow, and adapt. The Director of Development will have opportunities to set-up new systems and implement new ideas.
We are ready to scale and could use significantly more resources to produce the next generation of leaders of liberty. We are also considering a large-scale multi-year campaign to triple our current budget. Now would be the perfect time for a driven Director of Development to join our Senior Management team!
The position is remote and preferably within the United States.
- Create a fundraising strategy and lead the day-to-day operations of the development team consistent with that strategy
- Own a portfolio of high-dollar donor relationships
- Collaborate with the CEO on top strategic donor interactions
- Direct, mentor, and hire exceptional development talent; the current team consists of 5 members plus the CEO who spends most of his time on development
- Overseeing processes relating to the donor database and tracking of individual member’s key performance indicators within Salesforce;
- Expand efforts to identify, approach, and actively cultivate new donor relationships
- Work closely with the communications and programs’ team to share Student For Liberty’s success with our donors
- Work with IT to continue to improve our database and processes
- Work closely with the CEO to develop and oversee the development department’s budget and revenue targets
- Coordinate Student For Liberty’s direct-mail program, including prospecting and house-file mailings
- 5-7 years minimum experience in a managerial development position. Demonstrated ability to grow, mentor, and guide a team of young professionals
- Major gift experience
- Salesforce experience
- Versatility to be both a self-starter who takes initiative and a strong team member
- Outstanding personal presence, affability, and ability to connect with people
- Ability to persuasively articulate the benefits of a free society and describe Student’s For Liberty’s role in achieving it
- Passion for our mission and vision and alignment with the ideas of liberty
- Experience constructing, articulating, and implementing annual strategic development plans
- Experience in developing, implementing, and managing a prospect funnel
- Demonstrable track record of successfully cultivating and growing donor relationships
- Preferred: experience with google workspace
- Preferred: experience with capital campaigns, planned giving, and monthly giving programs
Travel: The job would consist of up to 25% travel within North America. International travel optional.
SFL pays a competitive salary commensurate with experience and provides excellent benefits.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- Your interest in this position and how you personally connect with Student’s For Liberty’s mission
- A brief overview of your experience with the following: management of a development department, major gifts cultivation and solicitation, direct mail, donor communications, lead-generation pipeline, and the foundation grant proposal process
- Salary requirements
- Résumé with a focus on quantifiable achievements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: Apply for Your Dream Job
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.