The Leadership Institute is hiring a Reporter for its campus news website CampusReform.org. As America’s leading source for conservative college news, Campus Reform serves as a watchdog to our country’s higher education system, with a mission to expose liberal bias and abuse on college campuses.
The Leadership Institute’s mission is to increase the number and effectiveness of conservative activists and leaders in the public policy process. To accomplish this, the Institute identifies, recruits, trains, and places conservatives in government, politics, and the media. The Institute strives to produce a new generation of public policy leaders unwavering in their commitment to free enterprise, limited government, strong national defense, and traditional values.
About the Role
Campus Reform’s team of professional journalists works alongside student activists and student journalists to report on the conduct and misconduct of campus administrators, faculty, and students. Campus Reform holds itself to rigorous journalism standards and strives to present each story with accuracy, objectivity, and public accountability.
The Reporter will work daily alongside the editorial team: Editor in Chief, Managing Editor, and Associate Editor. The position reports directly to the Managing Editor.
Campus Reform’s team also includes a Video Reporter and Correspondent Director, which the Reporter may have to coordinate with to carry out editorial support responsibilities.
There is also the possibility to conduct print, radio, broadcast interviews and speeches on behalf of Campus Reform when approved by Editor-In-Chief. Highly successful reporters may have the opportunity to advance quickly to Campus Reform editorial team.
Reporting will make up ~80% of this role, including:
- Identifying and researching incidents of liberal bias, abuse, and indoctrination in American higher education
- Following up and investigating news tips and leads submitted to Campus Reform assigned to you by the Managing Editor
- Recruiting and cultivating expert sources for news stories
- Writing news stories for publication on CampusReform.org
- Recruiting and conducting interviews with experts to produce exclusive quotes or interview content
- Conducting public records requests and data-driven research to support articles or video projects
- Attending weekday editor meetings with stories ready to pitch
- Working to expand the public profile of Campus Reform
- Other duties as needed
The other 20% of this role will be focused on Editorial Support such as:
- Assisting editorial team with the Campus Profile series
- Supporting the editorial team’s management of the correspondent program
- At least one year of relevant experience in writing and/or journalism; internships may be considered experience
- Strong written, and oral communication skills
- Exceptionally organized
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under time constraints
- Ability to travel and work nights and weekends; this role calls for about 0-5% of travel
- Prior experience creating, writing, and editing news content.
- A bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university or one to two years of related experience or training
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as a single PDF:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of the Leadership Institute/ Campus Reform, and your salary requirements
- Two writing samples no more than 5 pages each; samples relevant to Campus Reform’s work preferred, but any writing samples are sufficient
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.