Common Sense Institute Arizona (CSI) is a non-partisan research organization dedicated to the protection and promotion of Arizona’s economy. CSI Arizona is at the forefront of important discussions concerning the future of free enterprise in Arizona and aims to have an impact on the issues that matter most to Arizonans.
CSI Arizona’s mission is to examine the fiscal impacts of policies, initiatives, and proposed laws so that Arizonans are educated and informed on issues impacting their lives. CSI Arizona employs rigorous research techniques and dynamic modeling to evaluate the potential impact of these measures on the Arizona economy and individual opportunity.
About the Role
The Common Sense Institute is looking for a Research Analyst to advance CSI’s mission by examining the fiscal impacts of policies and legislation, and crafting reports that better inform Arizonans. This includes informative research, data collection, and report construction. The ideal candidate will have some experience in policy research or data collection, an excellent writing capability, and a strong attention to detail. The Research Analyst will report directly to the Director of Policy and Research. This is a new full-time in-office position located in Phoenix, AZ.
Informative Research & Data Collection: gathering background information and collecting data on the policy topics that the CSI Board of Directors and senior management team prioritize.
- Summarize and communicate the important findings.
- Locate effective sources.
- Use integrative data series such as, BEA, BLS, FRED, LMI Gateway, and IPUMS.
- Amalgamate findings into excel (generate usable databases that properly reflect the data that has been collected).
- Manipulate and interpret the data for the sake of generating information for the reports.
- Track key legislation and ballot initiative and provide analysis to staff and board members.
Report Construction: writing and summarizing the data collected and translating it into a reader-friendly format for our audiences.
- Generate key findings based off research.
- Translate release findings into social media posts, podcasts, presentations, and press-releases.
- Collaborate with management and other Research Analysts to curate findings.
- Support report release process by communicating with the CSI team.
- Help to sustain the shelf-lives of CSI research by staying up to date on new data and how CSI can re-interpret ideas.
- Be informed about the topics that CSI is researching including sharing articles, bill tracking, google alerts, and title board tracking.
- Stay up-to-date on policy developments in the state of Arizona and nationally.
- Maintain updates in Airtable, Constant Contact, Sharepoint, Donor Perfect, and other software tools.
- Support webinars, events, and fundraising efforts as needed.
- Help in preparation for board meetings and membership meetings as needed.
- 0-3 years of experience in research, data collection, or equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree; public policy or economics preferred
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products; especially Excel
- Excellent writing capability
- Communicate specific information clearly and concisely
- Demonstrate an attention to detail
- Collaborate and work within teams
- Exercise humility when receiving and providing constructive feedback
- Experience working with database platforms is a plus
- Experience working with IPUMS/BLS data is a plus
- Willingness to work flexible hours including occasional evenings is a plus
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in CSI, how your experience has prepared you for this position, why you believe in free enterprise, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Network Engagement Specialist, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.