Opportunity Arkansas (OA) is seeking a Public Affairs Director to join the organization full time. The Director will be responsible for maintaining existing relationships and developing new partnerships across the state, in order to advance the organization’s core goals and mission.
A successful candidate will be capable of networking and developing key relationships in Arkansas state government and across like-minded coalition groups, organizing and managing the organization’s ongoing external affairs efforts, occasionally providing legislative testimony, and conducting public presentations before key stakeholders.
The PAD will report to the Chief Executive Officer and serve on the organization’s executive leadership team. The director can work from OA’s home office in Conway, Arkansas, or from a virtual office elsewhere in the state. Occasional travel will be required (10-20%, mostly in-state).
Candidates working virtually from elsewhere in Arkansas will be expected to come into the office 2-3 times per week.
- Develop and maintain fresh knowledge of the welfare, health care, education, public safety, foster care, and economic landscape in Arkansas;
- Work with state partners to secure original data for research projects;
- Oversee OA’s legislative and executive branch engagement, including but not limited to planning meetings, communicating with bill sponsors and partners, engaging in legislative testimony, and more;
- Expand OA’s profile with policymakers, likeminded coalition groups, and other key stakeholders through direct engagement, regular meetings, and presentations/briefings;
- Play a leading role in helping educate the public and the private school community on the benefits of education freedom;
- Help identify and recruit Arkansans for personal stories related to OA’s policy areas, ensuring a regular flow of story content
Qualifications and Skills
- 3+ years of experience in public policy, community engagement, or government relations;
- Advanced degree in public policy, political science, economics, government, or related field (preferred but not required);
- Experience engaging and working with policymakers (preferred but not required);
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work well both independently and with a team, often on tight deadlines;
- Regular travel required (1-2 trips per month) during peak seasons; frequency may increase with tenure
- Philosophical alignment with Opportunity Arkansas’ mission
About Opportunity Arkansas
Opportunity Arkansas Foundation (OAF) is a 501(c)3 organization with the mission of renewing the Land of Opportunity by simplifying government and solving generational problems for the next generation. Through our research, key relationships, and deep knowledge and love for Arkansas, we advocate for commonsense policy solutions that improve the lives of all Arkansans.
Why Work at Opportunity Arkansas?
When you work at OA, you’re building the future of Arkansas. The work you do every day helps directly improve the lives of our families and neighbors, and those who will inherit this great state in years to come. The Public Affairs Director will have the unique opportunity to help grow a young startup organization and expand its influence and impact across the state. In addition, OA offers a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include a generous retirement match, health care stipend, and exceptionally generous time off, in addition to company holidays.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials (in order) in one PDF document:
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position, alignment with the mission of Opportunity Arkansas, location preferences, and salary requirements
- A list of three professional references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is managing the search process: [email protected].
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.