The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization dedicated to defending liberty, freedom of speech, due process, academic freedom, legal equality, and freedom of conscience on our nation’s college campuses. Please visit thefire.org to gain a sense of our work and mission.
FIRE is seeking a Program Officer with dynamic communications skills and demonstrated experience creating outreach resources to join our FIRE Student Network team. The Program Officer will report to the Director of Campus Outreach. This role will be based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Recruiting students to FIRE’s Student Network through conferences, events, direct outreach, and social media
- Creating, organizing, and distributing educational resources to students
- Planning and executing marketing and networking strategies to raise awareness of FIRE’s Student Network
- Coordinating FIRE’s presence at external events and conferences
- Assisting with hiring and oversight of FIRE’s Summer Internship Program for undergraduate students
- Building relationships with partner organizations and acting as a liaison to FIRE allies
- Working directly with students to advance FIRE’s mission on campus
This position will also perform other support functions for the day-to-day operation of FIRE and will frequently collaborate with other staff members and departments on general duties and specialized projects, including but not limited to contributing to FIRE’s online Newsdesk, and working closely with our outreach staff, the Policy Reform team, and the Individual Rights Defense Program.
- 2-3 years of experience
- The ability to travel ~25%, including on weekends and in evenings
- Must demonstrate a knowledge and passion for FIRE’s mission and an ability to articulate that passion in a way that will make others enthusiastic about FIRE’s cause
- A four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university
- A good work ethic, self-starter, ability to work independently
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- An ability to handle dynamic, challenging situations
- Interest in multidimensional outreach
- Networking skills through various mediums
- An eye for detail and a drive for perfection when executing job functions
- An ability to exercise sound judgment
- An ability to manage challenging and fast-paced situations
- Superior computer and Internet proficiency, including the ability to use Microsoft Office and Google applications
- Some marketing experience (preferred)
- Experience in reaching out to a diverse range of audiences (preferred)
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- List of three professional references, including email and phone number for each
- A cover letter articulating three specific reasons you are excited about advancing FIRE’s mission and your salary requirements
- A writing sample no more than 5 pages in length
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.