The mission of School Choice Wisconsin (SCW) is to empower parents by developing, supporting, and promoting the ideas and policies that create vibrant and high-quality K-12 education options in Wisconsin.
Founded in 2004, SCW built on the pioneering work that created the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program. SCW led successful efforts to enact three additional programs, helped parents and schools navigate their implementation, and defended parental freedom to choose by fending off persistent efforts to damage or eliminate the programs with legislation, regulatory overreach, and legal challenges.
SCW seeks a president who can lead the next phase of growth and build on the considerable accomplishments of current president, Jim Bender. Mr. Bender, who has led SCW for the past decade, will be leaving SCW at the end of the year to start his own business.
SCW sees major opportunities ahead as the demands of the pandemic demonstrate to parents the value of educational options. It believes the potential for building parent support, expanding parental options, and encouraging innovation has never been greater.
To seize the day, the new president must have strong leadership skills in the areas of strategic planning, team building, fundraising, and communications. The board will consider candidates who have held similar management roles as well as less senior candidates who demonstrate a track record of increasing responsibility and success.
The successful president will:
- Establish an ambitious agenda to expand parental freedom in education by advancing a long-term strategic vision and demonstrating the tactical skills to make incremental gains;
- Oversee aggressive growth in revenues by making a compelling case to current and prospective donors and expanding the SCW donor base;
- Develop a staff (currently a team of six) capable of executing the strategic vision as a highly professional, cohesive team;
- Build alliances with the wide range of other individuals and organizations that value parental freedom in education and continue the SCW tradition of working in concert with allies to achieve results; and
- Communicate effectively with staff, consultants, board members, donors, policy makers, and the general public.
- Actively oversee the management of financial, operational, personnel, and legal matters.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Deep commitment to parental freedom in education. Knowledge of education reform issues and challenges is preferred but not required;
- Ten or more years of experience, including successful execution of a major strategic initiative that required project management and coalition building skills, preferably in the public policy arena;
- Fundraising capability and evidence of success in donor relations;
- Capability to recruit and manage individuals to achieve SCW goals.
- Willingness to travel to meet donors, attend conferences, and work with allies (travel estimated at 10-15 percent).
SCW offers a competitive salary and benefits program. The organization currently is based in Brookfield, WI. It might move to another location in metropolitan Milwaukee in 2021.
SCW has engaged Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, to assist with the search. Please direct all inquiries to her at [email protected].
Interested candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A resume.
- A cover letter that describes what makes SCW attractive, including your philosophical interest in SCW’s mission.
- An overview that demonstrates success at: a) developing and implementing strategy; b) fundraising, including specific amounts raised if possible; c) building coalitions; d) recruiting and leading competent teams; and e) clear and compelling communication.
- A list of three references with the knowledge to attest to your accomplishments.
- Your salary requirements.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by January 15, 2021, though we will consider applicants who apply after this date. Only complete applications will be considered.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organization, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principals of limited government and free enterprise.