The trustees of the Foundation for Economic Education (“FEE”) are seeking a President to succeed Lawrence W. Reed. The search is being undertaken at the request of Mr. Reed, who will become President Emeritus upon the appointment of the successful candidate. The target date for the transition is late 2018/early 2019.
In Mr. Reed’s ten-year tenure—the longest since that of FEE’s founder Leonard E. Read—FEE has experienced dramatic growth and has become one of the most dynamic and productive organizations in the free-market non-profit community.
Since our founding in 1946, FEE has devoted its efforts exclusively to the dissemination of the principles of classical liberalism. Since 2008, we have focused in particular on being the entry point for young people into the freedom philosophy and into the larger freedom-loving community. FEE’s ambition is to be the global leader in making the principles of a free society familiar, credible, and compelling to the rising generation.
To that end, FEE has gathered a team of professionals with expertise in the core disciplines of education, editorial, publishing, media, technology, and marketing. They are supported by experienced development, finance, and management teams, who have enabled us to triple our revenues and manage the commensurate growth in staff and activity levels over the past ten years.
The rapid pace of innovation in these core disciplines has enabled us to reach vastly greater numbers of young people than ever before, but we believe there are still excellent opportunities for dramatic growth from here. In light of this, we are seeking a President whose ambition is to build the world’s most powerful marketing organization for liberty over the course of years to come, reaching ever-widening circles of young newcomers.
FEE’s recent annual reports provide considerable detail on our value proposition, our strategic priorities, our programmatic initiatives, and the results we have achieved. Our public financial reports provide detail on our financial performance.
As President Emeritus, Mr. Reed expects to maintain an active schedule of writing and public speaking on behalf of FEE, and to assist the new President in such other ways as may be mutually agreeable.
The successful President will
- Set an ambitious agenda to expand the youth audience for liberty worldwide
- Grow revenues aggressively by making a compelling case for FEE with funding sources
- Recruit, mentor, and motivate professionals in our core disciplines to develop and execute the business strategy with a high degree of professionalism
- With the management team, envision and foster new product lines and distribution channels in our core disciplines, and question existing activities that are underperforming
- Continue to develop our strategic alliances within the free-market non-profit community and other relevant civil society organizations
The ideal candidate will demonstrate
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles of classical liberalism, including its moral foundations as well as economic and legal principles
- Commitment to FEE’s core values of integrity, excellence, respect, accountability, creativity and courage
- Successful, results-oriented leadership experience, including responsibility for revenues and the realization of a strategic vision across diverse skill sets or product lines
- Fundraising ability and willingness to travel extensively
- Experience with education and familiarity with digital technology and marketing
- Outstanding salesmanship and communication skills
Compensation will be competitive, including an excellent benefits program.
The President will be based at FEE’s headquarters, in newly-renovated space near the Midtown and Buckhead sections of Atlanta. Atlanta has a dynamic business environment, high quality of life, and affordable cost of living. It is a leading destination for young talent and a highly convenient base for air travel.
FEE has engaged Talent Market to assist with the search. Questions about the opening may be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, via email at email@example.com.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and one-page cover letter (describing their suitability for the position and salary requirements) together in one PDF file. The file should be uploaded, and basic data supplied, via this link.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in the position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.