The Georgia Public Policy Foundation, established in 1991, has long promoted free-market solutions to our state’s public-policy challenges. We are proud to be one of only two state-based think tanks listed among the world’s “Best Independent Think Tanks” for both 2017 and 2018 by the University of Pennsylvania’s Lauder Institute. Our principled, non-partisan approach has made us an indispensable resource for Georgia’s policy makers and we are ready to grow. Now the Foundation seeks a new team member to help develop our capacity to accomplish even more for individual liberty and limited government in Georgia.
About the Opening
Our new position of Policy and Research Director is the kind of highly leveraged role that can help catapult both our organization and your career toward new heights.
The Director will work with the Foundation’s President and Vice President to set policy positions and priorities among our issues, which include education, healthcare, transportation, tax and spending, regulation, housing affordability, criminal justice reform, and energy and the environment. The Director will then determine what research and data are needed to promote these policies, which can be produced in-house by him/herself, and which need to be handled by our roster of Senior Fellows or other partners in academia, industry and at national think tanks. The goal is to increase both the number of issues and projects the Foundation is equipped to handle at any given time, as well as the volume and quality of research produced to promote those policies.
The ideal candidate will be able to juggle several different policy topics, handling each with fluency; to maintain the Foundation’s existing outside relationships and cultivate new ones; and to represent the Foundation in public appearances and in private meetings with other stakeholders. All of this work is necessary to promote our vision of a state where innovation, entrepreneurship and creativity thrive and individuals flourish based upon strong property rights, free markets and equal opportunity for all – therefore, it is essential that this team member also believe in this vision.
- Stay abreast of trends and developments in public policy at the state and national levels and work with Foundation staff to set policy positions and priorities among our issue areas
- Manage the Foundation’s roster of Senior Fellows and cultivate other useful partnerships locally and nationally
- Produce issue briefs and commentaries when necessary
- Compile the Foundation’s biennial “Guide to the Issues”
- Manage a research budget and, potentially, a research staff as the Foundation grows.
- Represent the Foundation in media interviews, legislative testimony, policy-focused events, and at conferences and meetings with other stakeholders
- Work with communications staff to create effective issue-oriented campaigns
Personal Skills and Qualifications:
- Passion for limited government, free enterprise and personal responsibility
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Results-oriented approach to setting priorities and managing time and money
- Devotion to details and accuracy
- Curiosity about the world, and openness to the idea one may not yet know everything about it
- Desire to work flexibly, learn constantly and serve enthusiastically on a team
- Aversion to leaving tasks incomplete
Professional Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum five years of public policy or research experience
- Prior experience with a state-based think tank is a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing:
- your interest in the position and the Georgia Public Policy Foundation,
- why you believe you will excel in this role, and
- and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].