For more than ten years, the Empire Center for Public Policy (EC) has been working to make New York a better place to live and work by promoting public policy reforms grounded in free-market principles, personal responsibility, and the ideals of effective and accountable government.
The Center seeks a Policy Fellow to be an integral part of Empire’s research agenda. This is an exciting time to join a growing team working to expand its presence and impact in the state Capitol and throughout the state.
This is a full-time position located in Albany, New York.
- Contribute significantly to the Center’s research agenda
- Coordinate with research director, policy analysts and other Center fellows to develop and execute research agenda
- Assist in managing research contracts
- Author original work related to EC’s policy goals
- Represent the Center by speaking at events throughout the state
- Conduct media interviews, write opinion editorials, testify before state legislature
- Help coordinate the Center’s annual publications, including analysis of data collected on the Center’s transparency website, SeeThroughNY
- Assist in establishing and executing legislative strategy
- Working with researchers, development and media teams to plan seminars, policy forums and other activities to advance the research
- Editing and assisting in the writing of reports, articles and other materials prepared by other EC researchers and staff
Qualifications and Skills:
- 5+ years of experience in policy analysis/research or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, advanced degree in related field preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skill and relationships
- Proven ability to produce and oversee the production of fact-based work free from hyperbole, sensationalism, and politics
- Strong writing ability, including the ability to turn out clear, clean and concise copy on tight deadlines
- General knowledge of and interest in the public policy issues on which the Empire Center focuses, including tax, budget, health care, transparency and open government, labor, education and others.
- An affinity with EC’s free-market approach to the public policy challenges facing New York State
- Familiarity with common PC and/or Mac software, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proficiency in using the Internet, including social media
- Familiarity with the New York legislature or another state legislature preferred but not required
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing candidate background, interest in the position, a compelling case for why the applicant would excel in this position, and salary requirements
- Two writing samples
- At least three references
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
EC is an equal-opportunity employer.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.