You: An experienced, creative, and entrepreneurial individual with strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills. A dedicated freedom fighter, you’re passionate about PLF’s mission and values, and eager to put your management and communications skills to work developing partnerships that define our next generation public interest law firm. You have a proven track record of turning opportunities into partnerships and products but, most importantly, you’re not content to rest on past success and eager to challenge the status quo.
We’re not just looking for a gladhander. While you have strong interpersonal skills, you also possess a keen strategic mindset and are able to weigh PLF goals with those of our audience and partners, in order to build strong, mutually beneficial partnerships.
Them: Bureaucrats, city councils, mayors, governors, and federal agencies stripping Americans of their rights every day. There’s a lot of government overreach out there, and it’s backed by seemingly endless resources. But fortunately, like all lumbering giants, abusive government is most vulnerable when countered by individuals who act strategically and nimbly, take calculated risks, have each other’s backs, work together to achieve, and are confident in and passionate for the cause—the very sort of swashbucklers we employ in spades here at PLF.
Us: We fight back. Pacific Legal Foundation is the nation’s first and most successful public interest law firm dedicated to vindicating individual liberty. PLF has an unmatched record in the United States Supreme Court, with 14 victories out of 16 cases litigated at the Supreme Court. We also have more than a hundred active cases across the nation.
We are a next-generation public interest law firm. What does “next generation” mean for a legal nonprofit? It means we aren’t interested in doing the same thing as everyone else. We aspire to be the best player in a constantly changing game.
Here’s what you get to do in this role:
When we say “manager,” we mean it! In this role, you’ll be responsible for leading coalitions from soup to nuts: creating, maintaining, and leveraging groups of stakeholders who can support PLF’s litigation and legislative campaigns. In addition to maintaining strong relationships with ideological allies at the federal, state, and local level, you’ll be leading the charge to expand our relationships with industry, academic, and grassroots organizations.
You’ll work across the organization to identify and capitalize on opportunities for PLF to advance the national conversation on our areas of expertise. In essence, you’re responsible for making sure that PLF is seen as a partner of choice, disseminating our ideas, and raising our organizational profile among key audiences.
You’ll be responsible for maintaining accurate, up-to-date information on outreach contacts, and work with the Outreach Director to make data-driven updates to our partnerships strategy.
As a national nonprofit organization, PLF has brick-and-mortar offices in Sacramento, CA; Arlington, VA; and Palm Beach Gardens, FL, though approximately half of the staff works from home across the country. The ability to work from the Arlington, VA, office is a plus for this role, though outstanding candidates will be considered for work from any office, or full-time remote placement.
In practice, your specific job duties will likely include:
- Creating and supporting coalitions of individuals and organizations in support of PLF cases and initiatives, including building original outreach lists and engagement strategies
- Taking the front seat in new outreach campaigns, leading from strategy to execution
- Identifying and pitching opportunities for collaboration to both internal and external stakeholders
- Maintaining accurate, up-to-date information on outreach contacts and partnerships, and working with the Outreach Director to make data-driven updates to our strategy
- Working with PLF attorneys and department leads to identify and leverage existing networks of support
- Representing PLF at meetings, events, and conferences with partners and allied organizations
This role is ideal for someone with:
- At least five years of experience in outreach, external affairs, public relations, or similar
- Demonstrated interest in current cultural and policy conversations
- Keen strategic mind capable of identifying, pitching, and managing opportunities for partnership
- Passion for working with people of all ideological backgrounds, from every walk of life
- Positive & proactive solutions-oriented mindset
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Knowledge of legal issues isn’t required, though it’s certainly a plus
- Ability to travel approximately 20%
Pacific Legal Foundation identifies and litigates important legal issues to set landmark precedents that will benefit Americans nationwide. Using strategic and principled litigation, communications, and research, we battle for freedom in the nation’s courts and the court of public opinion.
This is a full-time, permanent position. PLF is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest-quality talent available nationwide, and we offer a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, and employer-paid retirement savings. We take work-life balance seriously through our generous paid leave and flextime policies. We have a flexible, collaborative, positive, and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in your future and encourage internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power. Join us.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Your resume, including your experience in the liberty movement and relevant professional experience
- A cover letter explaining why PLF is the place for you, why you want to fight for liberty, and what distinguishes you from typical applicants
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.