About the Organization
The Pelican Institute for Public Policy believes every person should have the opportunity to flourish. The Institute’s mission is to research and develop policy solutions to address the most significant barriers to opportunity in Louisiana. We educate the public about the benefits of individual liberty and free enterprise, turning great ideas into powerful policy solutions that make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
About the Role
The Pelican Institute for Public Policy seeks a director of its newly-launched Kevin Kane Center for Opportunity Policy. The successful candidate will be passionate about creating a culture of freedom and economic opportunity in Louisiana, will appreciate the atmosphere of an ambitious start-up, and will be confident and conversant in free-market public policy.
The focus of this work will be developing policy research, building coalitions, working with policy makers and opinion leaders, and persuasively communicating solutions that address the root policy drivers of systematic poverty and obstacles to economic mobility. This individual will champion ideas that clear pathways of opportunity and work for every Louisianan. The candidate may work remotely within the State of Louisiana or from the organization’s offices in New Orleans or Baton Rouge and will require frequent travel.
The successful candidate will thrive on the challenge of crafting near-term and long-term strategies to advance an opportunity policy agenda in the face of opposition, will be exceptional at building bridges and bringing people together, and will also appreciate a culture that values entrepreneurism, humor, action, continuous improvement, and strategic thinking. This is an opportunity for someone early/mid career with a passion for liberty and experience in policy to build a growing movement by executing a variety of responsibilities, including the following:
- Vision and Strategy: Work directly with the organization’s leadership to develop and implement short-term and long-term policy strategies to advance a free-market opportunity agenda and build a strong culture of freedom for the state of Louisiana.
- Public Policy: Develop and publish a cohesive policy agenda for Louisiana and serve as the lead opportunity policy expert to a variety of audiences, including citizens, opinion leaders, legislators, and members of the news media.
- Legislative Outreach and Coalition Building: Work with government affairs and advocacy colleagues to build strategies for key policy initiatives. Build and nurture meaningful goodwill relationships with partners and allies across the state including, often, nontraditional allies on a variety of issues.
The ideal candidate likely has 3-5 years of professional experience and will possess the following characteristics and competencies:
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to be a self-starter
- Love for both policy ideas and the strategy that brings them to fruition
- A joie de vivre and happy warrior mentality who can engage in and help lead a unique Louisiana movement for change
- Understanding of and commitment to the principles of free enterprise, individual liberty, and personal responsibility, and how those principles lead to human flourishing
- An understanding of the public policy process and how to drive meaningful, long-lasting change in a state; direct experience in public policy, legislative outreach, and/or coalition building a strong plus; roots in and understanding of Louisiana are also a strong plus
- Demonstrated competency in building, testing, measuring and learning; ability to take an idea and turn it into reality
- Ability to travel (primarily in-state) on a regular basis, and demonstrated love of diverse local cultures
- Notable relationship building skills, and an outgoing, friendly personality, especially under pressure
- Willingness to engage in constructive give-and-take with a dynamic team in order to continuously improve one’s own performance, as well as the organization’s; demonstrated ability to work well with strong opinions, loosely held
- Excellent communication skills, including above-average proficiency in writing, both short and long forms
- A demonstrated appetite for continual learning
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file :
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position, your passion for Louisiana, your geographic preference, and salary requirements
- Writing sample
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.