About Parents Defending Education
Parents Defending Education is a national grassroots organization working to reclaim our schools from activists imposing harmful agendas. Through network and coalition building, investigative reporting, litigation, and engagement on local, state, and national policies, we are fighting indoctrination in the classroom — and promoting the restoration of a healthy, non-political education for our kids.
We don’t just criticize from the sidelines – we act. It’s time to get off the bench and into the fight. We didn’t think this project would be worth undertaking if all we could offer was organized complaining and outrage. Our strategy has three components:
- EMPOWER. We want to make it as easy as possible for busy parents to get informed and make a difference, so we’re providing easy-to-understand resources on key topics, such as “know your rights” guides, one-pagers on questions to ask school administrators and board members, and how to properly document and publicize problems and rights violations.
- EXPOSE. Through an aggressive Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)campaign, we’ll gain access to documents from public schools and school districts around the country when we receive tips that merit investigation. When we learn of incidents that deserve greater attention, we will publicize them through print, TV, radio, social media, and national and local press, protecting the anonymity of parents if they desire.
- ENGAGE. PDE will teach parents how to help themselves, providing field guides on how to get involved – be it through setting up their own parent organization, creating an anonymous social media account, or filing their own complaints with the school, state, and federal government. Every parent in the country should know how to effectively advocate for their child, and we want to help.
About the Role
Parents Defending Education is seeking a project manager to help grow and expand our operations and programs. This is an ideal role for an action-oriented entrepreneur willing to roll up their sleeves and pitch in where needed; PDE isn’t a stuffy organization publishing 30-page white papers (no offense to our friends who write them, they’re great!); we’re out in the trenches, working alongside families to give them the tools and advice they need to engage constructively with their schools to effect meaningful change. PDE receives tips from around the country, investigating leads and filing Freedom of Information Act requests to connect the dots; files complaints with the Department of Education; and, when necessary, files lawsuits to hold schools accountable for violating students’ civil rights.
This is a great opportunity for an up-and-comer to wear a lot of hats in a rapidly growing organization, and to assist the founding team not only with execution but also with identifying potential areas for future expansion.
The project manager will report to Asra Nomani, the organization’s vice president for strategy and investigations. This full-time position will be virtual.
- Daily posts and engagement on Facebook and Instagram
- Develop social media graphics using Canva templates
- Serve as “air traffic control” on incoming incident reports
- Write dispatches in WordPress about incidents reported by parents and community members
- Add parent groups to the map
- Work with vendor on copy for email blasts to our list
- 3+ years of experience (substantive internships may be considered relevant experience)
- Clear, concise writer with a passion for grammar and spelling
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality of submissions
- Knowledge of AP Stylebook helpful but not required
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter, which should detail your philosophical interest advancing Parents Defending Education’s mission
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Strategist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.