The Commonwealth Foundation is among the most effective and influential state-based think tanks in the country. With a top-notch team of policy analysts and communication experts, CF transforms free-market ideas into public policies so all Pennsylvanians can flourish.
Our research and advocacy have led to lower taxes on working Pennsylvanians, greater transparency in state government spending and contracts, criminal justice reform that reduced both prison population and crime, and increased educational options for thousands of students.
Our work is driven by our core values of:
- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
The Major Gift Officer role is an exceptional opportunity to apply a strong communications and relationship-building capability to help grow a mission-driven organization. Most of your job will involve developing relationships with people who give sacrificially to the mission of CF because they deeply care about the future of their state. If you enjoy meeting people who share your passion for free markets, this might be a great role for you.
This individual will independently manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors and be responsible for providing them with a top-notch giving experience. You will manage the donor lifecycle for 100-150 individuals and foundations which includes identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
The successful candidate must have a passion for the ideas advanced by CF and its donors. The ideal candidate will be adept at forming relationships quickly and staying exceptionally organized, as well as embody an achievement-oriented personality. Your success will be measured on how well you grow relationships and offer donors a top-notch giving experience.
This position is remote in Pennsylvania but can be based in CF’s Harrisburg or King of Prussia office, if you would like. We are also open to candidates who live in close proximity to Pennsylvania but outside of the state; frequent travel throughout Pennsylvania is required. The ideal candidate, has at a minimum, three years of experience. CF is also open to more seasoned candidates as well; if you think you are a good fit for the role, regardless of where you fall in your career, we encourage you to apply. Salary will be commensurate with experience. The person will report to the Senior Director of Development.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage and steward a portfolio of 100-150 donors and prospects who give via annual gifts and planned gifts
- Collaborate with the development team to build an annual fundraising plan for your portfolio, set revenue goals, and execute strategies to reach them
- Manage relationships with prospective and existing donors in all aspects of the donor lifecycle:
- Identifying major donors and initiating contact
- Developing appropriate cultivation strategies for them
- Moving potential donors toward solicitation and closure
- Conducting stewardship that creates a top-notch giving experience
- Deliver regular donor meeting reports and ensure that the database is updated with all donor communications
- Produce fundraising materials including but not limited to letters, emails, and proposals
- Work closely with the development team on additional tasks as needed
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- 3+ years of sales and relationship building experience, preferably in nonprofit organizations with face-to-face experience strongly preferred; more seasoned candidates also encouraged to apply
- Appreciation of and commitment to the mission of Commonwealth Foundation is critical for this role
- Exceptional communication skills, including solid writing capability
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Discipline to keep accurate and updated records; proficiency in Salesforce is a plus
- Ability to prioritize and adjust strategies and tactics quickly in response to new information
- Entrepreneurial spirit and high energy
- Ability and willingness to travel within PA (20-30% may be overnight), and occasional national travel for conferences and meetings
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience
- Monthly stipend for health care
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology and home office supplies
- 4% company contributions towards retirement plan
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials as a single PDF:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position and the mission of CF and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katy Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.