The Major Gifts Officer opening at Mountain State Legal Foundation (MSLF) is an exceptional opportunity to apply a strong communications and relationship-building capability to help grow a results-oriented, mission-driven organization. The Major Gift Officer will play an essential role in further expanding our reach by identifying new and cultivating current major-gift supporters. This individual will independently manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors and be responsible for providing them with a top-notch giving experience.
This position reports directly to the Director of Development and will work closely with the Communications and Legal departments in order to stay knowledgeable on active cases and insure our major donors are kept advised of the current work being done at the Foundation.
- Manage and steward a portfolio of $5K-60K donors and prospects for both gifts and planned giving / endowment gifts
- Manage relationships with prospective and existing donors in all aspects of the gift cycle including: identifying major donors and initiating contact; developing appropriate cultivation strategies for them; moving potential donors toward solicitation and closure; making solicitations when appropriate; and maintaining stewardship contacts with donors
- Collaborate with the Development Manager to develop an annual fundraising plan, set major donor fundraising goals, and execute strategies to reach revenue goals
- Deliver regular donor meeting reports and insure the database is updated with all donor communications.
- Organize at least two small major donor events annually. This will include selecting and securing a venue, soliciting a hosting board member, staff and/or donor participation, creating the guest list, and organizing food and beverages requirements
- Produce fundraising materials including but not limited to letters, emails, and proposals, and deliver regular donor meeting reports and insure the database is updated with all donor communications.
- Work closely with the Development team on additional fundraising campaigns as needed
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- 3+ years’ experience in major gift fundraising, with face-to-face asks preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills, including solid writing capability.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Discipline to keep meticulous records. Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
- Ability to prioritize and adjust strategies and tactics quickly in response to new information.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and high energy.
- Appreciation and commitment to the mission of Mountain States Legal Foundation.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file.
- Cover letter detailing:
- your interest in this position and why you believe you will excel in this role,
- a compelling case about why the mission of Mountain States Legal Foundation resonates with you,
- your salary requirements.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.