The Mercatus Center at George Mason University seeks a Director of Events to drive the development of organizational events strategy and lead and mentor event team members. The Events Director will also be responsible for event preparation, planning, and on-site execution of multiple events.
The ideal candidate is a thoughtful, creative, entrepreneurial, experienced events professional, able to envision and manage an event from concept to completion and committed to advancing the ideas and mission of the Mercatus Center.
Strategy & Relationship Building
- Develop and drive the organization’s event strategy and measures.
- Work with internal teams to collaborate and build strong partnerships for annual and long-term goals.
- Ensure the highest level of customer service to both internal and external customers.
Event Execution and Content Planning
- Manage a portfolio of events; drive overall event execution timeline, including all event-related activities from logistics (including food/beverage needs, audio-visual/production needs, travel and venue) to marketing timeline and program development.
- Travel 10% to be on-site for Mercatus events.
- Ensure brand consistency and high-quality execution of each assigned organization event, in close partnership with program owners.
- Maintain and develop key vendor relationships in coordination with other event team members.
Budget, Metrics, and Processes
- Track event performance and metrics to evaluate event effectiveness.
- Calculate, track, and report event budget. Recommend adjustments as necessary throughout planning process to ensure event effectiveness and adjustments that may need to be made to achieve event goals.
- Consistently look for opportunities to strengthen event team processes and procedures and make future events more effective.
- At least 10 years of experience, including lead event management, experience in event planning, and staff management and coaching.
- Strong interest in furthering the Mercatus Center’s mission and ideas.
- Team player with commitment to excellence, and superb interpersonal skills and a focus on customer service.
- Demonstrated history of systems thinking and process creation.
- A strong ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects effectively, and problem-solve in time-sensitive situations.
- An understanding of best practices in an event setting for social media, event registration, and event communications.
- Extensive contract negotiation skills and outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Excel, Power Point, Word, Salesforce, and cloud-sharing programs.
The role will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position, Mercatus Center’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.