About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas. Mercatus is well known for its economic research throughout the country and in Washington, DC. Our scholars range from Ph.D. economists and lawyers who research a variety of economic-based public policy questions. We bridge the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems.
The Mercatus Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Opening
As a State Outreach Associate, you will seek and connect with state and government representatives. You’ll have the opportunity to present the latest economic research to state legislators and Governors’ policy staff and be part of a high-performing, proactive team.
The ideal candidate for this role will have at least 2 years of state legislative or public policy research experience and a strong desire to connect cutting-edge research with today’s public policy challenges
The Associate will report to the Director of State Outreach. This is a full-time role based in Mercatus’ Arlington, VA office.
- Plan and assist with the development and execution of effective state-focused outreach strategies and programs that connect Mercatus research with state policy audiences
- Educate and prepare Mercatus researchers on the evolving context of policy debates and potential opportunities to advance the use of their research by state policy audiences
- Collaborate with policy research, communications, marketing, and the events teams to ensure that Mercatus research is effectively disseminated to state policy audiences
- Continuously develop and strengthen reliable relationships with state policymakers and staff so that Mercatus research informs and improves public policy
- Ensure full compliance with Mercatus policies
- Provide regular and deadline-driven updates and reporting on activities
- Some travel required (roughly 20%-30%). The position is permanently based in Arlington, Virginia. This is not a remote position.
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, political science, or a related field
- Minimum of 2 years state legislative or public policy research experience is required, with working knowledge of the state policy-making process (Governor, state legislature, state think tank). Political activities do not fulfill this requirement.
- Experience in a public policy research organization can be substituted for legislative experience.
- Desire to connect cutting-edge research with today’s public policy challenges
- Thrive on expanding your public policy knowledge
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and are outgoing
- Potential interest in obtaining a graduate degree (it’s part of our compensation package!)
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this role and the mission of Mercatus Center
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Outreach Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide consulting and recruiting services at no cost to 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that clearly and directly focus on advancing the principles of economic freedom, free enterprise, free trade, free speech, property rights, rule of law, and limited regulation.