This role is meant for someone who wants to dive headlong into the media coverage of free market public policy knowing that it will require persistence in the face of a media and a public increasingly hostile to nuanced policy ideas. We’re looking for someone with the emotional intelligence and attention to detail necessary to ensure we are the media’s go-to source for free market ideas.
Whether you’re a brilliant policy analyst who has a deep desire to influence the media narrative or an experienced communicator who loves a good policy debate, you’ll need to have a deep desire to spar with your communications teammates on the best way to present our policy arguments. At the same time, you’ll be given the task of building relationships with Pennsylvania and national reporters and editors.
The Media Relations Officer will have the opportunity to work closely with both the communications team and Vice President in charge of communications. The officer will report to the Director of Media and can be based in our Philadelphia, Harrisburg, or Pittsburgh office or work remotely from anywhere in the country.
- Commonwealth Foundation’s media relations capabilities have been increasing year by year. We need someone who can help us take it to the next level. While we are well respected by state media and known in corners of the national media, the Media Relations Officer will work directly with the Director of Media to get our issues covered at every opportunity.
- Who is covering our issues? What editors have slipped our attention? What interesting article presents a new idea that we haven’t considered properly? Seek out and answer those questions on a daily basis.
- Track and understand pertinent members of the media to understand what they care about and how we might be able to provide them with the news they need.
- Work with the Director of Media to build relationships with select TV, radio, and print producers, reporters, and editors to expand positive coverage of CF’s priority issues statewide and nationally.
- Provide ideas for and draft pitches for both Pa. and national media to ensure we are always in the midst of discussions on our issues and on free market principles.
- Build the capability to quickly respond to media requests and fill requests for guest booking alongside the Director of Media.
- Assist in writing and distributing press releases.
- Serves as an ideas creation partner with the Director of Media, bringing new ideas forward and creating strategies for how to communicate on emerging issues.
- Take initiative on building a keen understanding and strategy with free market and conservative movement media.
- Provide insight into persuasive talking points and the way that our policy research is written, presented, and digested by the media.
- Build an understanding of how certain Pa. Legislators are covered in the media and how they relate to our public policy priorities.
Editing and Messaging
- Provide input to our editorial team based on knowledge of how our issues are covered in the media and perceived publicly to ensure our opinion articles are top-notch.
- Give a communications perspective and provide edits to policy documents and research.
- Work with marketing team to create high-quality talking points and new ways to message our research an policy ideas.
- 2-5 years of experience in media relations, public relations, marketing, communications, or related professional work; we will also consider a more experienced candidate
- Familiarity with free market public policies and ability to communicate their benefits clearly
- A familiarity of Pennsylvania’s media landscape is not necessary, but must be able to comprehend the unique interests of a myriad of members of the media
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Share a commitment to the free-market principles of CF
- Be a confident yet humble team player who is comfortable receiving and following direction from senior team members
- Monthly stipend for health care
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology
- Matching 403b retirement plan up to 4%
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission, and your salary requirements
- Brief writing sample
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.