The Institute for Free Speech (IFS), formerly the Center for Competitive Politics, is a nonpartisan organization that promotes and defends the First Amendment rights to freely speak, assemble, publish, and petition the government. The Institute is the nation’s largest organization dedicated solely to protecting First Amendment political rights. IFS has played a key role in every major pro-political free speech case decided by the Supreme Court since 2006.
Through litigation, policy analysis, original research, media outreach, and educational activities, the Institute informs the public of the benefits of freedom and dynamism in the area of political free speech and opposes McCain-Feingold style regulation of campaigns and other restrictions that limit the ability of citizens and groups to participate in the political process and support the candidates and causes of their choice.
About the Role
The Institute for Free Speech is searching for a detail-oriented, intellectually curious, and driven Media Manager with strong writing skills, impeccable judgment, and media savvy to assist with various outward-facing initiatives in support of the Institute’s mission to promote and defend our First Amendment rights to free political speech, press, assembly, and petition.
The Media Manager will be in charge of compiling and distributing the organization’s signature Daily Media Update publication, an e-mail newsletter consisting of topical political speech-related stories and legal developments as well as notable commentary from various viewpoints that is distributed to hundreds of journalists, allies, and interested parties every weekday. The Media Manager will also be responsible for the content of the Institute’s social media posts and will have the opportunity to contribute significantly to the Institute’s catalog of commentary championing First Amendment speech freedoms. The combined nature of these duties positions the Media Manager as a front-facing member of the organization with an ability to build a considerable contact base. This role will be based at IFS’s headquarters in the Washington, D.C. area.
- Compile and produce the Institute’s signature Daily Media Update every weekday
- Oversee organization’s presence on social media channels, especially Twitter and Facebook
- Post content to and maintain portions of the Institute’s WordPress-based website
- Track and monitor the organization’s media outreach efforts
- Author regular op-eds and blog posts on pertinent political speech-related issues with the guidance of the Communications Director and the Director of External Relations
- Assist the Communications Director in drafting articles for the Institute’s quarterly newsletter, Speaking Freely
- Expect to be featured as the author of the Media Update and op-eds and blog posts you write
Candidates with interest in and/or experience with graphic design will have the opportunity to design the organization’s quarterly newsletter, infographics, and research publications. However, this skill set is not a prerequisite for applying.
- 1-3 years of experience in a professional office environment; internships may be considered experience
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Political Science, or a related field
- Interest in defending the First Amendment’s guarantee of free political speech
- Strong writing and critical thinking skills
- Detail-oriented personality
- Eagerness to immerse oneself in media coverage and commentary on myriad speech-related issues
- Ability to accomplish tasks in a timely manner, particularly the Media Update, which is distributed every weekday morning
- Strong judgment, especially when posting and interacting with others on the Institute’s social media accounts
- Comfortability with being featured as the editor-in-chief of the Media Update and other outward-facing initiatives
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a collaborative team
- Familiarity with Constant Contact is strongly preferred, but not a prerequisite for consideration
- Working knowledge of the basics of campaign finance law will be viewed favorably but is not a necessity
- Experience with graphic design programs, especially Adobe InDesign, is a significant plus, but not required
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing interest in the position, any relevant professional experience with regard to the mission of the organization and the Media Manager role, and salary requirements
- An unofficial copy of the applicant’s college transcript (an official copy may be requested before an offer is extended)
- Two writing samples (past professional work, college papers, op-eds, or blog posts) of roughly 5 pages in length each reflecting solely the applicant’s own work [Writing samples focused on political speech issues are desirable, but not a prerequisite to being considered]
- Names, contact information, and relationship details of at least two references able to speak to the applicant’s professional experience and/or character
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katy Ranville, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.