The Leadership Institute is a 501 (c)( 3) organization that was founded in 1979 by its president, Morton C. Blackwell, LI provides training in campaigns, fundraising, grassroots organizing, youth politics, and communications. The Institute teaches conservatives of all ages how to succeed in politics, government, and the media. Since 1979, LI has trained more than 200,000 conservative activists, leaders, and students. The Institute’s unique college campus network has grown to more than 1,700 conservative campus groups and newspapers.
About the Role
The Leadership Institute is hiring a Managing Editor for its campus news website Campus Reform.org. As America’s leading source for conservative college news, Campus Reform serves as a watchdog to our country’s higher education system, with a mission to expose liberal bias and abuse on college campuses.
As managing editor, you will oversee a team of professional journalists and a network of roughly 200 conservative student journalists with a passion for reforming American higher education by reporting on the conduct and misconduct of administrators, faculty, and students. The ideal candidate will have at least three years of professional journalism experience. Strong writing and editing skills will be imperative. This is a full-time in-office position located in Arlington, VA.
- Manage in-house reporters and junior editors (Roughly 3-5)
- Manage the Campus Reform website
- Publish timely, accurate articles in compliance with in-house style and standards
- Manage production, editing workflows for all articles
- Coordinate video reporting and social media activity with news reporting
- Work a flexible schedule when needed (possibly evenings and weekends)
- Media opportunities may be available (Support and training will be provided for media appearances)
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience, including at least 2 years of professional journalism experience as a reporter, editor, or other related journalism position
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Proficiency in identifying and producing newsworthy content
- Strict adherence to journalism rules and ethics
- A strong understanding of conservative politics
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
- Ability to lead and manage a team of reporters and support staff
- Avid consumer of national news
- Philosophical alignment with and passion for Leadership Institute/Campus Reform’s mission
- Strong following on social network and a proven ability to create and distribute content
- Ability to public speak, train, and develop student journalists
- Experience reporting on higher education issues
- Experience in broadcast media
- Accomplished opinion writer
- Experience with video or photo editing
- Experience with website management tools
- Ability to serve as a Campus Reform spokesperson
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your philosophical interest in the organization, why the position interest you, how your experience has prepared you for this position, and your salary requirements
- One professional (not academic) writing sample that is 500-1,000 words. Excerpts from longer pieces are acceptable.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Lydia Ocampo, Network Engagement Specialist, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.