About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
About This Opening
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is seeking a Foundation Relations Manager for its Foundation Relations team. This individual will prepare written materials that build our relationships with funders—primarily private foundations, but also individuals as needed. In recent years, this team has secured essential funding for our online economics education platform (Marginal Revolution University), our research on issues like reforming regulation and improving healthcare, and our graduate fellowships which support 350+ students each year.
- Writing correspondence, including grant proposals and reports, to show donors the return on their investment in Mercatus and excite them about future funding opportunities
- Prioritizing and managing multiple writing projects to grow the donor portfolio
- Understanding prospective and current donor interests and activities to find areas of alignment with the Mercatus Center’s vision
- Understanding Mercatus’ research and activities and articulating these succinctly in written and verbal communication with donors
- 5+ years of work experience, including a minimum of 3 years of experience in grant writing
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility and a positive, can-do attitude
- Enthusiasm for the mission of the Mercatus Center
- Preferred candidates will be familiar with Salesforce, understand major foundation giving patterns, and have experience writing grants of $100,000 or more
- Bachelor’s degree
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter that articulates your interest in Mercatus Center’s mission and your salary requirements
- A brief but powerful writing sample of your choice that illustrates your ability to engage donors using the written word (please redact confidential information)
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Stephanie Keaveney, Network Engagement Strategist at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected].
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.