The Director’s primary focus will be to take ownership over Heartland’s brand and image as a free-market think tank and create and manage the marketing team’s implement a comprehensive and highly strategic marketing strategy.
The Marketing Director oversees a four-person staff which includes a Database Manager, Senior Graphic Designer, Graphic Designer, and a Project Manager.
This is a full-time position that reports to Heartland’s President and Executive Vice President. Preference will be given to candidates that are available to work from the Arlington Heights headquarters of Heartland, however, virtual office arrangements can be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Responsibilities: The Marketing Director creates and implements the overarching strategy for each of Heartland’s major publications, events, and issue campaigns. As such, this position includes:
- Research: Conduct an environmental analysis and market research specifically on allies (for benchmarking and opportunities for collaboration), opponents, donors, state legislators, and other target audiences.
- Planning: Produce marketing plans for major publications, events, and issue campaigns, because if it isn’t in writing, it can’t guide the efforts of other people in the organization.
- Implementation: Work with other staff to creatively market events, books, newspapers, newsletters, websites, apps, direct mail, new media, etc. The goal is to find new audiences, innovative approaches to implementing Heartland’s missions, and new avenues and organizations with which we can partner.
- Measurement: The top marketing goal is to successfully “sell” our ideas to influential people, primarily in the United States but sometimes internationally.
- 8+ years of experience in creating and implementing comprehensive marketing plans.
- Strong writing skills demonstrated by solid writing samples.
- Experience in effectively managing and motivating a team with a wide range of skills and interests.
- A natural aptitude for sales
- Willingness to both host and attend after-hour events as well as travel as needed (estimated 10% of time).
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in marketing preferred, but not required.
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your genuine interest in the mission of the organization, b) why you believe you are well suited for this position, c) your salary requirements, and d) your preferred office location and/or availability to work from Heartland’s offices
- Two recent writing samples
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.