- Treating everyone with dignity,
- Stewardship of our investors’ time and treasure, and
- Pursuing productive solutions to problems.
We are looking for an experienced, talented, and committed individual to support our creative communications team and oversee direct mail and grant writing.
The Managing Editor will work closely with the Director of Communications and Senior Writer to boost the organization’s capacity and effectiveness in message development, storytelling, and persuasive written communication. The Managing Editor will spend roughly 30% of his/her time writing and roughly 70% editing and managing the development of written products.
The ideal applicant will have a gift for personalizing policy issues and telling stories of the impact public policy has in people’s lives.
The Managing Editor will report to the Director of Communications and be based virtually anywhere in the country or in our Philadelphia, Harrisburg, or Pittsburgh office. A virtual employee would need to travel to Pennsylvania for occasional staff gatherings.
- Craft issue talking points for use with the media, investors, and policy makers, tailoring messaging to individual audiences, and ensuring they are up to date and readily accessible.
Writing and Editing
- Bring a creative spark to the organization’s writing to better reach and engage our primary audiences: Staff members, investors, and lawmakers.
- Manage the editing process and contribute to the production of op-eds, blog posts, email communications, and other projects, with a particular focus on editing others’ work for clarity, conciseness, and messaging alignment.
- Work with writing contractors to greatly expand CF’s reach statewide and nationally, enabling the organization to take prompt advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Manage direct mail and grant solicitation programs, working with colleagues and contractors to produce engaging content that drives revenue.
- Craft customized and timely communications for executives and fundraisers to facilitate relationship building.
- Character, integrity, kindness, industriousness and an all-around great colleague
- 5+ years of experience in journalism, communication, public relations, written fundraising, or a related field
- Exceptional writer, editor, and proofreader who understands how to inspire others through compelling storytelling
- Ability to tailor communications to varied audiences and ghost write for multiple authors
- Skilled in working with and enhancing the work of other writers
- Experienced project manager
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker
- Share a commitment to the free-market principles of CF
- Monthly stipend for health care
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Reimbursements for needed mobile technology
- Matching 403b retirement plan up to 4%
- Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Two writing samples
- A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for the organization’s mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: [email protected]
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.